ETC Ion DMX hub

Ynot

We are regularly now getting close to the 2 universe limit on our Ion, especially when we bring in a fair number of LED fixtures and other movers, so want to look at options for extending the available outputs using a network node. We've used one on hire already last year, though only to allow networking and distribution of the 2 universes around a bigger venue, and I am aware that we'll need to buy the upgrade from ETC, but what I'm looking at is using a non-ETC node rather than their (rather expensive) option.

Apologies to those ETC reps on the forum, but unless the hardware can compete on price we will be looking at the budget choice. ;)

So - anyone have any suggestions as to reliable makes/models of nodes? Ideally we'd look at a node with a minimum of 4 outputs to DMX, programmable from a PC to send whatever universe we want to one or more outputs.

Would consider 2nd hand, as long as it would be proven working.

And as usual with me - please only ACTUAL experienced or educated comments - no off-the-wall ramblings from anyone without the requisite knowledge.

Hi Tony,

The Luminex gear is very versatile, not the cheapest, but it has a great feature set, with the ability to merge, split, input, output.

they offer a range of models, and different outputs. They also have RDM functionality, and can work as a back up system with a second console.

the range can be seen here Luminex website

if you would like to see one, drop me a line and I will get a demo unit out to you.

Many thanks

First off, a big +1 to the Luminex nodes. IF you are dead set on not using the ETC gear, then Luminex, ELC and Artistic License are the pro brands to clamp an eyeball on. And they are not as expensive as you might like to think. Plus, Paul will take good care of you in this regard too!

Refer to the "Cheap Art-Net Node" thread for a pretty good idea of why not to use cheap, no name brands for this kind of thing - especially with the ETC consoles!! I have been there, it really isn't worth the cost savings.

Personally, I think you should really push to get the ETC Net 3 node. ETC have some of the best networking capabilities on the console market, and the Net 3 nodes are very good. You might find you can get a deal with buying the expansion and node together. Its certainly worth a try. You may also be fine with a second hand Net 2 node. They only do 10/100mb/s but, you can install the config software on the Ion and access it from the network maintenance menu just like the Net 3 config. Depending on the performance requirements, this may not be ideal though.

Thanks.

You definitely want to get something that does E1.31 Streaming ACN.

Joe's problems were really due to Art-Net.

There are a lot of "Art-Net" nodes that either don't work or become intermittent/jumpy as soon as there is more than one or two universe-sources on the network, and even the best ones start to struggle above 8 universes or so.

Most E1.31 sACN nodes are good.

However, a word of warning on the "RDM" claim - right now, there are no interoperable standards for RDM-over-Ethernet.

ETC's ACN DMX/RDM Gateways work with ETC consoles and monitoring software, and Luminex nodes work with Luminex PC software.

They won't talk to each other, and as far as I know the only consoles supporting RDM-over-Ethernet are ETC's.

The 'upcoming' E1.33 standard should solve this, but it's not ratified yet and it will of course take a while after ratification for manufacturers to start supporting it.

I use the ELC nodes very often (the node 8, node 3, node 4 and node 1). I think they're great - do just as they say on the tin. I've used the Luminex ones before too and I've always found them to be a lot more complicated. Configuring them via a laptop for example. I like the simplicity of the ELC nodes and being able to change all the settings from the front panel in a matter of minutes. Not got much more to say about them really - they do as they say on the tin and they do it well!

You definitely want to get something that does E1.31 Streaming ACN.

Joe's problems were really due to Art-Net.

There are a lot of "Art-Net" nodes that either don't work or become intermittent/jumpy as soon as there is more than one or two universe-sources on the network, and even the best ones start to struggle above 8 universes or so.

I don't want to side-track too far - but why does doing E1.31 sACN make a difference for an ArtNet node? I know the Net3 runs over ACN, but if it's just ArtNet that Tony is using does it make a difference? Can you not just turn off all the other protocols being broadcast from the console within the shell and just have ArtNet being streamed?

Cheers!

Tom

I use the ELC nodes very often (the node 8, node 3, node 4 and node 1). I think they're great - do just as they say on the tin. I've used the Luminex ones before too and I've always found them to be a lot more complicated. Configuring them via a laptop for example. I like the simplicity of the ELC nodes and being able to change all the settings from the front panel in a matter of minutes. Not got much more to say about them really - they do as they say on the tin and they do it well!

Funny you should say that, I've had entirely the opposite experience. I found the ELC nodes a complete pain to configure and make do something useful (using both the front panel and the configuration software), whereas the Luminex ones took all of about two seconds using the web interface, and 'just worked'. Possibly didn't help that the ELC node wasn't particularly well-prepped and came in some very weird config rather than defaults, whereas the Luminex nodes I've had (from a different supplier) all came with a vaguely sensible configuration to begin with.

I don't want to side-track too far - but why does doing E1.31 sACN make a difference for an ArtNet node?

The problem is that Artnet is an unbelievably poor protocol. While it works, it doesn't scale at all well and it's generally very poorly designed (in my humble opinion). sACN is a vast improvement, so if your console can spit out sACN, you may as well get a sACN node!

The problem is that Artnet is an unbelievably poor protocol. While it works, it doesn't scale at all well and it's generally very poorly designed (in my humble opinion). sACN is a vast improvement, so if your console can spit out sACN, you may as well get a sACN node!

Your views on Artnet are shared by everyone who actually understands networking. First move advantage in the market gave it a toehold, and now, despite the fact that E1.31 is a properly designed and implemented protocol, albeit one that simply didn't exist back when Artnet was launched, Artnet just wont go away.

Edited for spelling.

Archived