Little shop of horrors lighting design

nottheone10

I love this show! I can still hit cues in time with the music, from the myriad times I've done it.

What you haven't told us, however, is anything about how your show is staged, what "style " it is, what your budget is, or what the venue is like in terms of size shape or lantern stock.

So, we can't be a lot of help yet....

I love this show!  I can still hit cues in time with the music, from the myriad times I've done it.

What you haven't told us, however, is anything about how your show is staged, what "style " it is, what your budget is, or what the venue is like in terms of size shape or lantern stock.

So, we can't be a lot of help yet....

this is true and I will when I have been told myself I will update this when I get more info about the show.

• 4 weeks later...
;) I would say a lot of colour changers and moving lights. I did that show with over 78 moving lights it looked AWSOME!!!

Moving lights for the sake of moving lights?! :P

I saw it done about 20 years ago with no moving lights or scrollers at all, and that also looked awesome ....

;) I would say a lot of colour changers and moving lights. I did that show with over 78 moving lights it looked AWSOME!!!

Moving lights for the sake of moving lights?! ;)

I saw it done about 20 years ago with no moving lights or scrollers at all, and that also looked awesome ....

Then with movers its going to be awesome awesome... :P

nononononoono

if they aren't programmed in as an integral part of the show, they just look cack.

all comes down to how the ld wants to use them - if you have a perfectly good rig with generics. and then add the intels on top. its just a waste of £££

:s

The whole show's "vibe" is very '50s/'60s

The Motown type girls

The Soul singing Barry White - esq monster

The references to TV dinners and "big enormous 12" screens" etc.

Taking all that into account would not loads of wobblylights be a little incongruous?

now to be of some use ... possibly

par cans in view can be allowed usually - cheesey is the rule of thumb.

movers have to be hidden away or only moved while dark till the end to make more impact when moved lit up.

more information is needed really to give any usefull advice.

I lit this 2 weeks ago for a GCSE performing arts exam. We had a few 'technical' issues on that performance but the design was there... and have done it twice before (and watched it countless times).

I too, like bryson, love the show and can his cues pretty much perfectly (and have a nasty habit of singing along).

Colours: Greens and reds for the plant... looking earie (sp?)

for songs like 'Suddenly Seymour' things like a soft blue backlight with a warmer colour followspot.

Strobe for the lightening!

Dull look for the dialogue sections on places like skid row but then liven it up a bit for the songs (downtown etc).

I would suggest a lack of movers and stick more to generics... lots of areas of seperate light and if you need to establish a way of moving action from the inside of the shop to outside on the street... the most common way seems to be to bring the street down onto an apron (or furthur downstage) and light it seperatley!

Follow spot is always handy for the slower songs, if possible try and allow for two.

EDIT:

According to the script for the show the opening is presented as voice over against a starfield... to do this on the cheep you can always use the windows flying stars screen saver. If you recorded this you could edit titles onto it with the text scrolling in a star wars fassion... but not the same because people would stereotype it!

I hope this helps

Nick

A technique I've seen done twice (both time's ive seen LSOH) is to project a 'dream sequence' during Somewhere Thats Green... images of Audrey and Seymour in their house, gradually adding in a kid, then two, then half a dozen. If you can get the timing right, it works brilliantly.

I'd concur with the non-moving lights bregade. I had one in my most recent design for LSOH, and only used it a couple of times. Every effect I did I could've recreated with generics, but the kit was available.

I'd concur with the non-moving lights bregade.  I had one in my most recent design for LSOH, and only used it a couple of times.  Every effect I did I could've recreated with generics, but the kit was available.

Add another vote to the 'generics only' gang. I lit this last year with the possibility of using moving heads but chose not to. The show is set in an era when they didn't exist, so if you want the show to look like a period piece (and I can't see why you wouldn't) then you simply can't have lights moving on view. I used top light brick gobos for the street scenes which can look great through some haze for a preset too. Footlights from different angles, of course, for the plant (and I used some gobo sidelight at head height too) and dull dialogue states with colourful song states, as Nick suggests, finish the design. Colours can only be decided when you've seen the set and costume designs.

A local youth musical theatre association who I crew for staged this earlier this year in my town and the LD went crazy with avolite movers and a pearl to control them, whilst it was not period it at no point detracted from the feel of the show and just added to the cheese. Another cheesy moment was "suddenly seymour" where we had a mirror ball fly in from the stage ceiling and the movers swing round to illuminate it a light blue (1/2 CT I think).

I used to have a gratuitous moving light moment on the line "...little red dots all over the floor...". Kind of a patter chase with a dotty red gobo and then a sweep out into and over the audience as the penny dropped...

Took forever to get the timing perfect, but I loved it.

A mirror ball for Suddenly Seymour? Well that is a bit 'different'. Mirror balls to be say disco and party not slow love type song!

Using movers to light the mirror ball isnt un-common, if you have them (getting in movers just to light a mirror ball is... pointless) because it gives you the option to change colours easily etc!

We used the 'dream sequence' that Peter mentioned before too but it just slipped my mind when posting before!

Nick

Archived