Overhead lighting rig for show in traverse

Josie22

Hi,

Anyone able to give me some advice here?

I'm touring a show which is staged in traverse, and for all but one venue I'm lighting it from 2 booms, but for this one venue I'm using their overhead rig, which admittedly has a lot more options than my current equipment, but I was wondering what would be the best combination of lanterns for a simple warm cold wash ( mostly just 201/009 maybe some open white) , normally for wash on booms I'd use fresnels and a par or two, but if I have access to slightly more, what would be the best to ask for.... I'm not a lighting designer by trade, but for this tour I'm on my own so looking to make the best out of the opportunity and try to be the best I can be...

Any advice on what lights to use, how many and best organisation, lighting a dining table and about a metre or two either side of it from each end of the table ( from the rig overhead of course)...

Many many many thanks for any advice, and time taken to read this!

Jx

To be honest, if all you're after is a warm and cold wash the best thing by far to do is to ask the venue to provide a warm and cold wash for a show in traverse. They will know their own rig a lot better than you and should be able to knock something up that will do the job. Send them a copy of your set plan (even if it's just a "back-of-a-fag-packet" job) and let them get on with it!

If you are used to lighting it from each end via the booms, I'd ask yourself if you want to stray hugely from the other shows or just use the overhead rig in a similar manner. If the latter, I'd look at pipe end style positions which are basically high side light rather than the cross light I assume you've been using. Using these positions would continue to keep the light out of the audiences faces, give you the modelling light you are presumably used to and get the rigging off the deck.

Do you need to do "more" for just one leg of the tour assuming the show is the same? Is the stage bigger or creative requirements different on this leg?

And in this venue with the overhead rig, is a transverse configuration their normal stage setup? If it is then they are bound to be able to provide area lighting easily using their standard rig.

If this is an unusual config for them and their lighting is literally above the table, then these will be NBG except for effect lighting.

If you can give a little more detail, the name of the venue for example - as I am always amazed how many people on here know about some really obscure places!

Archived