IDR8 Remote Connection

Thomas1987

Hi all.

We've got an Allen & Heath IDR8 system installed in a bar at work. It's got a dedicated control PC which it is networked too (direct cable between them, and ip addresses set correctly. This works brilliantly using IDR8 System manager, but I'm now trying to work out a way in which I can remotely connect to the PC to access IDR8 System manager.

As the IDR8 is linked by CAT5 to the PC, I want to use the PC's wireless connection to the internet router so I can run "log me in" or similar. However, if I connect to the wifi, the IDR8 software trys to find the IDR8 on the Wifi connection, rather than the hard wired LAN and obviously fails. As soon as I disable the Wifi connection, the IDR8 pops up again.

What I need to do is tell the IDR8 software to only look on the LAN port for an IDR8 unit, and not on the wifi. But I really am not sure how to do that. Anyone got any advice? Its a bit of a "work around" method anyway, so if it can't be done, it can't be done, would just be ideal.

Internet Explorer works fine with the IDR8 connected and Wifi connected, so obviously knows to hunt for the router, but the IDR8 software is having none of it. Possibly something external with firewalls or similar?

Any tips or thoughts appreciated.

Dave

Its my guess that the software is always looking for a static Ip address and the wifi is not set up for this.

A quick post on the new A& H forum would get a quick result or raois a ticket with their support who are brilliant ( Just sorted a problem I had yesterday and the service was second to none)

Hmm, doesn't seem to be a category for iDR8 on there (not surprising- I find it a great system, but its pretty out of date for something still sold now, and not very well supported in terms of updates).

Its a bit like LS9 - having to set a static IP address is a pain in the backside. I remember having all these network issues in the past, they seem to have all been resolved these days but legacy gear still causes issues!

I'll have another play about - I tried bridging the connections but the Wifi didn't like that. Otherwise, possibly an external access point, with the IDR8 connnected to that, so the data and IDR8 both are on the same subnetwork.

Its not really the address thats an issue - IDR8 is on 192.168.0.1, and it finds that perfectly. But as soon as another network card (the wifi) is introduced, it tries to find it on that network card, not the one connected to the IDR8.

If that makes sense?

So the A&H is on 192.168.0.1 and the PC (wired) will be on 192.168.0.x

Are these static addresses or allocated via dhcp? If dhcp, where is the dhcp server?

When wireless is enabled on PC, what address does the wireless interface have? What does the routing table look like?

If you're also using 192.168.0.x on the wireless interface, then the PC will not know the route to the A&H. Use a different network on each interface and all should be fine.

Its not really the address thats an issue - IDR8 is on 192.168.0.1, and it finds that perfectly. But as soon as another network card (the wifi) is introduced, it tries to find it on that network card, not the one connected to the IDR8.

If that makes sense?

Nope.

Its the use of the word "find" that is confusing.

By "find", do you mean "search for using a process to discover the address IP of the iDR8"? Or do you mean "it knows the address of the iDR8 but is sending the packets out down the wrong network"?

I suspect you mean the latter, since you state the address of the iDR8. What I think is happening is that when you connect up the PC to the wireless the PC gets a different IP address, so 192.168.0.1 is on a "different" physical network (ie the one that the wireless has) so the PC expects the wireless network to know how to get to that address.

If this is the case then the way to fix it is to put a static IP address on the PC ethernet interface, like 192.168.0.2, specifying the correct subnet mask (255.255.255.0) but no gateway (router), so the PC when on wireless has two IP addresses, one on 192.168.0.0/24 which can communicate with your iDR8, and another, which is not on 192.168.0.anything which has a default route to the wireless and works for everything else.

In case it is not clear; the wireless network (set by the router which is presumably handing out client addresses) must have an IP address other than 192.168.0.anything!!! If it does then you will get routing confusion, and that may exactly explain the symptoms you are observing...

This is one of the reasons I prefer to run show networks in the 10.xxx.xxx.xxx (/24) or 172.16-31.xxx.xxx (or even just 192.168.10.xxx) private IP ranges, it tends to avoid routing issues like this where you have a single device connected to multiple networks.

• 2 weeks later...

If that makes sense?

Nope.

Its the use of the word "find" that is confusing.

By "find", do you mean "search for using a process to discover the address IP of the iDR8"? Or do you mean "it knows the address of the iDR8 but is sending the packets out down the wrong network"?

I suspect you mean the latter, since you state the address of the iDR8. What I think is happening is that when you connect up the PC to the wireless the PC gets a different IP address, so 192.168.0.1 is on a "different" physical network (ie the one that the wireless has) so the PC expects the wireless network to know how to get to that address.

If this is the case then the way to fix it is to put a static IP address on the PC ethernet interface, like 192.168.0.2, specifying the correct subnet mask (255.255.255.0) but no gateway (router), so the PC when on wireless has two IP addresses, one on 192.168.0.0/24 which can communicate with your iDR8, and another, which is not on 192.168.0.anything which has a default route to the wireless and works for everything else.

In case it is not clear; the wireless network (set by the router which is presumably handing out client addresses) must have an IP address other than 192.168.0.anything!!! If it does then you will get routing confusion, and that may exactly explain the symptoms you are observing...

You're quite right, I wasn't clear on that. Apologies

To clarify, the on board LAN port is connected directly to the IDR8 with a Cat 5 cable, the IDR8 has a manual address of 192.168.0.1, and the PC has a manual address of 192.168.0.2. In this scenario, I load up the IDR8 system manager and it connects to the IDR8 happily allowing me to control it.

There is then a wifi card which connects to the bars wireless router at a random address (not in the 192.168 region). This is assigned an IP via DCHP and connects happily to the internet.

The issue lies that when the wifi card is connected, the connection to the IDR8 via the LAN card doesn't work. I believe this is because the WIFI card takes precedence. The software is trying to connect to 192.168.0.1 on the wifi card, rather than the LAN port. If the Wifi card is disabled, its perfectly happy to connect to the IDR8 via the LAN port but obviously I have no internet connection which defeats the point.

I've been scratching my head on this, and can't think of a way of routing a piece of software to a specific network card - possibly with a firewall or 3rd party software.

Very frustrating I must admit as I need the IDR8 software to talk to the IDR8, but also need the PC to have a working internet connection so I can log into it remotely.

(As a final pain the backside, the bar router is part of a university network, so I can't just connect the IDR8 to the wifi router, which would be the ideal solution.)

The WiFi card can't "take precedence": where the packets go is determined by the routing table. If packets that once were happily going out down the LAN wire are now not, then routing is telling them to go somewhere else. Then the question only becomes one of "why?".

Please open a cmd window, and do a "route print" command with no wireless, and then the same again when the wireless is on, and post that. Or perhaps PM me with it might be better...

I had a similar issue with our IDR 48 the other day. My solution was to assign the IP address on the IDR as 192.254.0.1 and then you can go into the adapter properties on the PC and add a secondary IP address in the 192.254.x.x range so the PC can communicate with the ilive.

See here for more details.

Archived