Mileage expenses

mark_s

That looks like quite a neat little gadget, but a bit frivilous; I can't see it doing anything that I can't do myself with Excel and the trip computer (or Google Maps). One thing which did occur to me is proving that the logged journeys are legitimate business journeys - is it enough to log the start, end, distance, client and job, and on the off chance I ever get inspected be able to say 'I travelled from here to here, for this job for this client, which correlates to this invoice number'?

Mark if you have that info that would be more than enough I would think. I would not expect them to look at every journey. The main thing is that they need to see that you are keeping accurate records of everything - what ever method you use is up to you. You cannot just use ad hoc estimates (as I was doing)

• 5 weeks later...

Paperwork saddo alert. I have a little notebook and a pen that I keep in the compartment under the radio in my car. I write down the date, the number of miles and what job it was for.

I'm rubbish at doing my paperwork and really feel I must do better but I'm quite proud of myself for starting to do this as I do a lot of miles for work!!

• 2 weeks later...
Every appointment or job I has goes in Google Calendar. I then use that at the end of the month to do the mileage, I might miss the odd one here or there but it gives me a solid audit trail if ever asked...

I'm retired and out of the country now so, alas, no mileage for me. However, when it applied, I was a paperwork saddo too. Occasionally I'd go high tech and zero the trip meter but that was about it.

Archived