Hanging LED strips

dbuckley

A lot of boxes, each with an Ethernet port and a one or more (probably more, like 8 or 16) port(s) to send digital data to the LED strips. I'm guessing now, but each strip looks long enough that it will have its own control wire back to the box.

Converting Ethernet to DMX512 would be a cost that doesn't make sense.

That makes sense. Perhaps each pixel is either on or off and not dimmable. Or each pixel is simply 4-bits of RGB-0 for seven colors. Each of the 3264 strips has 108 pixels. If these are RGB pixels then you have only 432 bits to define the state of one strip. 1.4 Mbits defines the state of the entire installation. At 30 frames a second you need 42Mbit/sec data transfer. That's easily handled by USB2.0 speeds.

So I can see some dozens of ethernet boxes that could each control dozens of strips. Give me a few hundred Arduinos and a month...

Am I on the right track?

That makes sense. Perhaps each pixel is either on or off and not dimmable. Or each pixel is simply 4-bits of RGB-0 for seven colors. Each of the 3264 strips has 108 pixels. If these are RGB pixels then you have only 432 bits to define the state of one strip. 1.4 Mbits defines the state of the entire installation. At 30 frames a second you need 42Mbit/sec data transfer. That's easily handled by USB2.0 speeds.

So I can see some dozens of ethernet boxes that could each control dozens of strips. Give me a few hundred Arduinos and a month...

Am I on the right track?

Don't think so, each pixel looks dimmable to me as 3 8-bit channels per pixel. It's no different to an LED video screen really. It does require a whole shedload of universes but that's the way it goes with pixel mapping, control systems such as Madrix can handle it.

Have a look at the product pages for the SGM fixtures shown in the second video and that will explain how their system operates.

the led tube...

http://sgmlight.com/...0200/c-23/p-148

the driver box...

http://sgmlight.com/...12-a/c-23/p-194

Archived