Paper on stage

Hello, I've been asked to manage a short tour of a dance production. The work is in promenade, with a set made up of various bits of furniture in a house plan that is marked out in tape on the floor, and the audience milling around the edge of the space.

The director wants to hang (staplegun) a series of 12 drawings to one wall. these drawings are on A0 size paper. I'm concerned that these should be flame proofed, the artist - quite understandably - hasn't considered this.

Any advice?

There is no absolute rule - this is why we have risk assessments. You need to assess the risks specific to your production then weigh up the complications of flameproofing against the likely benefits to decide whether it's needed / viable then take steps accordingly

If the show includes fire-breathing, flame throwers and cans full of petrol then absolutely everything on the stage needs to be fireproof. If the show is performed entirely under a rain curtain, involves water-fights and a scene involving half a dozen actual working fire extinguishers performed entirely by a cast of retired firemen then you probably don't need to have anything flame-proofed on the stage. Your performance sits somewhere between these two extremes but precisely where is something only you can calculate.

What does your risk assessment say?

In other words, can the artist supply a sample of the paper used as close to the actual drawings as possible? How flammable is it? Are there ignition sources nearby (such as LX, possibility someone in close audience will be smoking etc)? If the risk is low, would having suitable fire appliance/fire blanket nearby be sufficient, or do you need a fireman standing by all performance/fireproof the drawings (which will probably ruin them)? If they are as inflammable as hell, could you copy them onto something which has already been treated? There are lots of other possibilities, but basically think about it now, assess the risk then put appropriate measures in place - common sense mainly. Peter

thank you. good to know there's no hard and fast rules, and that issues can be dealt with in a comprehensive risk assessment. I get the feeling that this show's going to need quite an extensive risk assessment.

If the show is touring to a number of venues, then I would say that in practice that the paper needs flameproofing.

MOST venues will probably allow modest amounts of non flameproff paper, but you can bet that one venue on the tour will insist on flameproofing.

In such cases you have to take into account not only your own risk assesment, but also differing rules in mulitple venues.

If the show is confined to one venue, then it is down to your risk assesment.

In most cases flameproofing is PROBABLY not required, but we cant be certain.

If smoking is prohibited (in practice as well as in theory) and if no hot lighting is nearby, and no real fire or flame is used then the risk seems acceptably low.

...but you can bet that one venue on the tour will insist on flameproofing...

Just ask them if their tickets and programmes are printed on flame retardant paper. And what about last night's script sitting on the prompt desk? :)

I'm not worried about the paper really. its on a wall, there's no heating or lighting units nearby, no naked flames on stage. 3 venues, 2 of which I know quite well.

on stage there is a futon with fairy lights draped around the base. I'm going to flameproof that and get the lights pat tested.

I'm not worried about the paper really. its on a wall, there's no heating or lighting units nearby, no naked flames on stage. 3 venues, 2 of which I know quite well.

on stage there is a futon with fairy lights draped around the base. I'm going to flameproof that and get the lights pat tested.

There you go; there's your risk assessment right there. Now right it down.

If the fairy lights are mains operated, then that in my view introduces a small but real riak.

Under fault, failure or misuse conditions, mains fairy lights can get alarmingly hot, if they are reduced voltage lights from a transformer, then the transformer could overheat.

PAT testing "ticks a box" but is most unlikely to actually help.

I would prefer battery operated LED lights in such circumstances,(disposable batteries only) and if you want to be ultra cautious, use only zinc carbon batteries not alkalines.

Yes but............if you turn up at the venue and the stage manager says "I'm not allowing that on my stage" then that's kind of the end of the discussion, isn't it?

Right - so part of the plan has to be to ensure each venue tech has an early warning of what you want to do, followed up by risk assessment closer to the date. They then have the chance to veto original ideas and, in many cases but not all, suggest alternatives which would be acceptable (or special measures they will demand like dedicated fireman). What you don't do is show up at the venue without any warning that you are doing something odd.

Whenever going into someone else's venue it is always worth touching base with the resident techs early on even if your show is low risk. If they know what you are planning, they can often give advice about the venue - make sure you realise that the scene dock is 10ft off the ground or cone off an area for the scenery artic if there is no dedicated space for example.

Archived