Amplify with Reaper

Techno-John

I've recorded a song using Yamaha LS9-32 and ADAT 24 multitrack recorder. For some reason the recording came out a bit quiet. Using reaper I've remixed the recording and put the lead vocal up to max, and the master volume to near max, almost got it to a sensible level. Apparently there is an amplify effect in reaper (or available for reaper). I've tried looking for this - by clicking the FX button on master, but can't see an amplify. Wondering if anyone can help. Otherwise I can try amplify with Audacity, which I'll use to trim and fade in/out, but that's only good for minimal amplification in my experience.

Ctrl + Shift + N should be the keyboard shortcut to Normalise any particular selected section of audio. Hitting Ctrl A before hand would select everything.

Then you can tinker with the levels to your heart's content to get the final mix right.

Yup - or F2 while you've got one or more pieces of audio selected in the timeline will get you into a properties page, with "normalise" functionality and a whole lot more.

I've got a lot of time for Reaper, having finally bought a licence! I've not seen a built-in "gain" plugin (though it appears Shez has!), but with the ability to normalise at the per-audio-element level, and the gain correction built into pretty much every other supplied plugin, I've not really needed one!

I've not seen a built-in "gain" plugin (though it appears Shez has!), but with the ability to normalise at the per-audio-element level, and the gain correction built into pretty much every other supplied plugin, I've not really needed one!

It might be worth pointing out that the plugin that Shez refers to is one of the JS plugins rather than a VST plugin. The JS folder is well worth exploring as there are all kinds of goodies in there.

It is a much underestimated piece of software, probably because it is so cheep. It has served me well though.

I just need to find a nice warm reverb plugin for processing voiceover work.

Archived