To those that install LED tape

Jamtastic3

Depends on the current and how long a cable is used.

For moderate cable runs and no more than about 1 amp I usually use speaker flex for 2 core or alarm cable for multi core.

For longer runs or several amps I would use heavy duty 1.5mm speaker flex for 2 core, and 1.5mm 4 core speaker flex for RGB.

For very long runs, the voltage drop should be calculated but that is probably OTT for small jobs.

Anyone using large quantities of LED tape from a single power supply should really consider using sub fused circuits or smaller power supplies and RGB amplifiers (isolated buffers). Not an issue with just a 5m strip, but I do see a lot of lesser "LED experts" installing huge runs of LED tape either cascaded end to end or fanned out with thin cable from a power supply that is rated in tens of Amps and totally capable of causing a fire in the event of a short on the low voltage side or a smouldering inline mini connector. There's probably quite a lot of LED colour changing tape that includes physical crunchy black in its repertoire due to the amount of current it's passing.

This was the basis of my eyebrow raising. In addition to voltage drop and overheating, one needs to consider ground bounce due to excessive impedance in the negative power wiring, and that dropped voltage compromising the data.

Archived