DMX and sound down the same multicore

S&L

I presume you are referring to 3-pin DMX, but most current equipment I know of would tolerate that no problem.

Yep; that if you're going to fit a non-standard connector which increases the chance of cross-plugging, then you at least spend an extra 10p on components to protect your input.

Rob I think has hit it on the head; we all use opti splitters now, even on tiny rigs, and that not only makes DMX work better due to less daisy chaining, but also due to the removal of earth references.

An opti will also save the day if something electrically goes badly wrong, so when the DMX is going down the audio multi (yes, I do it to!) there is always an opti after the multicore, so if the world ends then I've not taken out sound's kit as well.

• 3 months later...

Apologies for resurrecting old threads but:

I've always thought keeping mains power for lights (all LED in my case) and sound separate was a good idea. Does this (audio mixer and lights controller sharing power supply) compromise the principle I'm any way or is it nonsense to begin with?

Does this (audio mixer and lights controller sharing power supply) compromise the principle I'm any way or is it nonsense to begin with?

A well designed audio system is *very* tolerant of external signals. If your system hums at all - you have a problem with it.

Archived