Strand 520

sam.henderson

Correct. The original 430 was based around a 486 processor. The 5x0 was based around a Pentium, with a max of 16Mb of RAM, while a 5x0i is based around a PentiumII with a max of 32Mb. IIRC, there are also one or two bits of proprietary Strand hardware (CS card, etc.) that were given a small upgrade when the 5x0i range appeared.

And as a slight (but slightly on-topic) aside, don't the old 520/530/550s now seem to struggle with 2.8.6 or whatever it's on now. We've had an old 520 on this weeks show and all it's done is sit and grunt and groan at me all week. Watching it try to keep up when being forced to do part cues, FXs and god knows what else at the same time was quite comical.

Stu

As long as your console's hard drive isn't too bogged-down with surplus files, the system is kept nice and lean (run 220clean.bat fairly regularly) and you're not trying to use the CI software on a 'non-I' console (use the correct C5 software instead), then there should be no problem with running 2.8.5 on an older 'non-I' 500-series.

• 1 month later...
Just to check there is no difference in the control / programming style of the 520 and 520i. I have the chance of using one in the summer.

No, no difference (well, almost!). They both run GeniusPro software, but you have to install the right version depending on whether the console is an 'I' version or not. The only real difference is that the non-'I' version doesn't incorporate the Communique elements of the OS. Apart from that, from a programming/operation point of view they're the same - the difference lies in the hardware.

Archived