Video camera to iPads and computers via Internet

jamieparker

Hi all,

I'm looking for a bit of input on this, as it's slightly outside of my field of knowledge.

I have been asked by a friend about transmitting some keep fit classes from a school over the Internet, so that children who potentially can't make the class due to bad winter weather can view it at home either on an iPad or on a computer.

There may also be a requirement to be able to watch the videos at a later date by logging in to a website.

If any of you know what equipment may be required, and the sort of bandwidth, any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks all,

Jamie

My old job used moodle or blackboard (both kinda the same, the run "like wiki" and you update them with your content, moodle does logging of users and you can do things like set questions to prove a user has completed the tasks, all very good, depending on your view)

However for something like this a recorded hangout, or private school owned youtube account would be possibly the ideal options.

1379585475[/url]' post='482175']

My old job used moodle or blackboard (both kinda the same, the run "like wiki" and you update them with your content, moodle does logging of users and you can do things like set questions to prove a user has completed the tasks, all very good, depending on your view)

However for something like this a recorded hangout, or private school owned youtube account would be possibly the ideal options.

Thanks for this, very useful. This is certainly a great way for the users to access content, plus a nice simple way for the operators to upload the content. However, it doesn't cover the live stream. Any ideas anyone? Also anybody got any specifics on the technical side r.e. Creating and uploading initial content?

Have a look at Bambuser.com. They do free live streaming of unlimited length, there are a lot less hoops to jump through than with Youtube and a lot less advertising than Ustream.

I use it to stream church services to people who are ill and can't make it. You can also watch it afterwards "offline".

It's very simple to set up and you can use anything from a webcam to a proper camera with a video capture device.

1379585475[/url]' post='482175']

Thanks for this, very useful. This is certainly a great way for the users to access content, plus a nice simple way for the operators to upload the content. However, it doesn't cover the live stream. Any ideas anyone? Also anybody got any specifics on the technical side r.e. Creating and uploading initial content?

but the hangouts / youtube stream works within it or can be made to.

You need a computer to encode (use Flash media encoder it's free), with camera and mics attached.

You also need a fast enough upload broad band connection,

do a speedtest.net to test we like it to be 2Mb upload minimum for our needs

but you may be happy with a smaller image size.

tips: test, test and test

regarding servers, bamuser seems good. Youtube can be a problem if you have music in your stream.

Youstream has too much advertising and cuts in every half hour with more ads - very annoying.

Hi all,

I'm looking for a bit of input on this, as it's slightly outside of my field of knowledge.

I have been asked by a friend about transmitting some keep fit classes from a school over the Internet, so that children who potentially can't make the class due to bad winter weather can view it at home either on an iPad or on a computer.

There may also be a requirement to be able to watch the videos at a later date by logging in to a website.

If any of you know what equipment may be required, and the sort of bandwidth, any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks all,

Jamie

Hello there,

take a look at the Livestream Broadcaster or the Cerevo Liveshell. They are units that interface to a camera via HDMI (or possibly analogue) and then backhaul it to a streaming service over either wireless or a 3G USB dongle. No computer required. They can also archive the video broadcasts.

The Livestream unit comes with a few months of their service for free and is about £350 (ish). The Cerevo unit (£200 ish) will interface to a wider range of streaming services or even some homespun services.

Pricing is possibly not 100% accurate - but should be close enough. Any questions, I'm happy to help. Take a look for both devices on eBay as well if you're cost-conscious , as they occasionally pop up.

http://static-shell....en/feature.html

http://store.livestr...eam-broadcaster

Ta,

Ben

• 2 weeks later...

Just a follow up on this, Bambuser (who I recommended above) have just changed their free service so you can no longer use Flash Media Live encoder, only their rather limited web broadcasting app. This only allows 320x200 or 512x288 resolution and your device must provide those resolutions, it will not scale.

They still support FMLE but only on paid packages which start at $99 per month. This is quite pricey, Dacast is cheaper than that.

Archived