Jester Zero88 Sound Input

Matthew80

Hi,

I am in charge of technical drama at my school, and I have been asked to sort out some lighting and sound for a Streetdance group that will be performing in October.

After hours of reading through the manual and attempting to set it up, I still have not been able to get the sound input working properly.

I have enabled Sound Input in Super User Mode, Programmed the chases that I want to use and I have also connected the audio device to it correctly. Can anyone tell me how to set Audio Input up before I launch this lighting board through the window!!!

Many Thanks,

Matt.

Have you proved the audio wiring to the desk is correct and has audio, of the right level, on it?

Hi,

I have definately wired it up correctly and have followed the user manual.

The Audio level is as specified in the manual.

Thanks,

Matt.

this is a bit unusual for sound connections.

Its not that unusual. Headphone sockets almost always use that type of connection. Its a standard way of wiring stereo inputs/outputs. Since the OP is having problems, then he has most likely connected a balanced mono signal to his desk. Since the first thing the desk will do is combine both signals to create a mono signal, when combining two sides of a balanced signal each side will cancel the other out. That's how balanced signals eliminate noise, after all.

this is a bit unusual for sound connections.

Its not that unusual. Headphone sockets almost always use that type of connection. Its a standard way of wiring stereo inputs/outputs. Since the OP is having problems, then he has most likely connected a balanced mono signal to his desk. Since the first thing the desk will do is combine both signals to create a mono signal, when combining two sides of a balanced signal each side will cancel the other out. That's how balanced signals eliminate noise, after all.

Common for stereo outputs, less so for inputs. And easy to mistake a stereo input with a balanced TRS jack.

Zero88's normal configuration for audio inputs is via a 3-pole (let's not refer to them as stereo) jack wired Ground to sleeve, Left to Tip, Right to Ring. Internally the sleeve connects to the desk 0v rail, usually via a low value resistor, and the tip and ring are mixed together via resistors to derive a single feed to the internal circuitry.

I am feeding the sound from a mixing desk (ZMX122FX)

I have got the Main out going to the speakers, and the Control Output going to Jester.

Pity I can't find a decent manual for it. Anyhow...

it looks like the control outputs are mono jacks so using a mono jack from the desk to the Jester ought to work.

I am feeding the sound from a mixing desk (ZMX122FX)

I have got the Main out going to the speakers, and the Control Output going to Jester.

Pity I can't find a decent manual for it. Anyhow...

it looks like the control outputs are mono jacks so using a mono jack from the desk to the Jester ought to work.

That might be why.

I will check to see if that will work.

Thanks,

Matt

OK, had a quick look at the set up guide on the mixer mfg's website. The "control" outputs are two mono jacks fed from the main o/p via a volume control, which also feeds the headphone jack. Make sure this volume pot is turned up to a reasonable level. you should be able to hear stuff on a pair of cans in the headphone socket. If you can't make the control outputs work with the Jester, try using the headphone o/p and use a 3 pole jack to jack lead. If this doesn't work then you must have a faulty lighting desk or you've misinterpreted the instruction manual.

• 2 years later...

Hi,

I am trying to setup Sound2lite on the 24/48 Jester but I am unable to get it working. I have connected the Jester to the headphone auxiliary port on a Yamaha mixer and turned the volume up whilst playing music through another channel on the mixer and I have enabled sound input in super user onthe Jester and set the flash mode to 'Beat'. The fade and speed dials are set to manual and the sound to light is not working.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Callum

On the assumption that you have thoroughly read, understood and checked the whole of this thread including putting a set of cans into to headphone output on the mixer, then you either have a dodgy cable or a dodgy board.

Everything else you need to do to check that analysis is contained in the earlier posts within this thread. If things don't make sense, then perhaps you need to ask someone who does understand balanced vs unbalanced jacks.

Archived