problems with a followspot

benweblight

we are doing a musical at the moment with 2 hired 2k strand cadenza followspots (I'm guessing these are the same as in strand archive)

the problem is that when we line them up with all the settings the same, one is noticeably brighter than the other, I'm guessing this is due to optics? is there anything simple I can do like cleaning the lense that will solve this?

Cadenza spots? Didn't realise there were such a thing. And looking at the Strand Archive it seems to agree with me. Do you mean the Solo spots? Look kinda the same...

Anyway you don't state if they are the Tungsten Halogen or CID/CSI versions but if it's the Tungsten ones have you tried playing with the peak on the lamp? Probably somewhere near the back, and I *think* it's a rotary type dial on the Cadenza/Solo's. Anyway play with this and the beam should get brighter or dimmer. Then make both look the same.

If it's the CID/CSI versions then as the lamps get older the light output drops. In this case you'd probably need a new lamp and be done with it. CID's are especially bad as they get old as they dump Iodine all over the envelope seriously dropping the light output.

Stu

Are you sure it's not one of these:-

Strand Solo Followspot

If it is I think I might know the problem, the reflectors in these degrade very quickly and as a consequence the light output is dramatically reduced. Open the lamp house on the dimmer one and have a look at the reflector, if it seems to be flakey rather than all shiny then this is your problem.

As you say they are hired in, I would contact the hire company and ask them to replace them for you.

could quite easily be cadenzas,

buy a 2k cadenza and a replacement solo rear handle which bolts straight on and call it a followspot, cheaper and smaller tyhan a solo

we are doing a musical at the moment with 2 hired 2k strand cadenza followspots (I'm guessing these are the same as in strand archive)

the problem is that when we line them up with all the settings the same, one is noticeably brighter than the other, I'm guessing this is due to optics? is there anything simple I can do like cleaning the lense that will solve this?

To me it sounds the same as what 'Stu' said about the bulbs, one Bulb might be older then the other so it wont bring out its maxium light capacity.

Archived