New Rubber Matting

p.k.roberts

Hi All,

Bit of an odd one. I just bought a (thankfully) small quantity of ribbed rubber matting. The trouble is, it absolutely stinks! Not just yer average 'new rubber smell' (mmmmm), but more of a rancid 'burnt' smell. So far I've tried scrubbing it with soapy water and hanging it in the sun to try and reduce this, but it has made no difference at all. It's so bad it's really unusable for indoor jobs which is, to say the least, a bit of a pain. So any suggestions - is there some readily available solvent or arcane treatment I can try on this?

New rubber does smell like that, you won't wash it off. Unroll it and leave it outside for a few days.

I have already done that with no effect. Just to be clear, I have bought this stuff before and know what it normally smells like, but this batch is much much worse.

New rubber does smell like that, you won't wash it off. Unroll it and leave it outside for a few days.

I have already done that with no effect. Just to be clear, I have bought this stuff before and know what it normally smells like, but this batch is much much worse.

I think it depends how they vulcanise the rubber, I had some recently which smelt really bad, made the place smell like it had been on fire. The smell will fade eventually if you leave it out.

It just seems to take time. We bought a large amount of rubber matting a few years back, and it was instantly banished to a shed in our yard. This was quite a "well ventilated" space (i.e. full of holes) but even so the smell was still noticeable over a year later. Luckily, we were only really needing the matting for outdoor jobs so it wasn't a major problem.

(One other thing that springs to mind - we got a ridiculously good deal on the matting. It might just have been a production overrun, but I do wonder if the seller reduced it because it had turned out more pungent than usual somehow?)

It is possibly the sulphur associated with "curing" or vulcanisation of the rubber. Cheapo stuff seems to smell worse for longer. It seems that washing in soapy water and leaving to dry in sunlight is the way to do it and if that doesn't work to do it again with a cup of white vinegar in the water.

One suggested remedy is not really a remedy but to cover up the smell by painting on peppermint oil but that seems a bit last resortish to me, bit like Febreze-ing my socks after a festy.

Archived