Business Phoneline and Broadband

Brian

When I'm travelling I use the unlimited data on my 3 mobile phone (A Motorola Defy+) as a modest internet connection via it's hotspot function. (It creates a local WiFi zone.) At the moment I'm getting speed tests of 5Mbit download and 1.4Mbit upload quite consistently, although the actual throughput of the service does vary depending on local usage. In a rural environment where there was a nearby mast and few others you might get a decent service compared to a bad wired one.

I rarely get glitches when watching Youtube videos and facebook, standard websites and email are pretty much instant.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I'm travelling I use the unlimited data on my 3 mobile phone (A Motorola Defy+) as a modest internet connection via it's hotspot function. (It creates a local WiFi zone.) At the moment I'm getting speed tests of 5Mbit download and 1.4Mbit upload quite consistently, although the actual throughput of the service does vary depending on local usage. In a rural environment where there was a nearby mast and few others you might get a decent service compared to a bad wired one.

I rarely get glitches when watching Youtube videos and facebook, standard websites and email are pretty much instant.

The trouble with "unlimited" data from 3 is that it is not really unlimited. If you try and use it as your home internet connection they will soon be blocking you and invoking their acceptable use policy.

As far as I'm aware (may now be out of date), their blocker is solely user-agent based. Thus, if you force your browser's user agent (firefox/chrome plugins exist), it's much harder for them to notice and block you. May not be perfect, but certainly worth bearing in mind if you're regularly tethering on 3.

As far as I'm aware (may now be out of date), their blocker is solely user-agent based. Thus, if you force your browser's user agent (firefox/chrome plugins exist), it's much harder for them to notice and block you. May not be perfect, but certainly worth bearing in mind if you're regularly tethering on 3.

I was thinking of the amount of data used. I thought they allowed tethering. 3 coverage is useless in my area (East Yorks), I gave up on them a while ago.

I've got an unlimited data bundle from 3 which I try my best to abuse. Some of the speeds are quite impressive, e.g. 19Mb/s in the city centre. At home, which is verging on rural, it is consistently faster than my home broadband.

I've done things like play entire concerts on YouTube to listen to whilst working in the warehouse, and the connection has been quite happy. However it seems to choke up if you attempt large downloads.

I also use 3 (the one plan), I tether my phone as the main broadband for my flat, we use it heavily for streaming and general browsing, never had any problems with throttling etc, and where I live (hammersmith/sheperds bush) we get a decent speed.

To date I've never had 3 stop my data. It's possible they may have reduced the rate after heavy usage (possibly just a busy network in the evening) but it's never stopped me using my iPad to browse technical videos at bedtime. I'm on the basic monthly standard contract with the unlimited data add-on. I'm not a super heavy data user though. Youtube is the most data hungry application I use.

As I compare deals one thing is becoming clear - once you strip away special offers, x months free and other fluff then all providers charge roughly the same price for the same level of service. Yes there are some low prices out there but when you dig into their T&Cs you soon realise why they are cheap.

I've been with Virgin since they were C&W and, though they have raised prices periodically, I have never had an interruption of longer than a few minutes on broadband. Everybody I know who's using BT has nothing good to say about them at all, but not everywhere here is cabled.

As I compare deals one thing is becoming clear - once you strip away special offers, x months free and other fluff then all providers charge roughly the same price for the same level of service. Yes there are some low prices out there but when you dig into their T&Cs you soon realise why they are cheap.

Yes I've inevitably found this when looking at electricity deals too - but hey that's how mature markets always work.

I like Eclipse for Broadband. We have their Static IP 80/20 (Down/Up) FTTC service and have had 0 downtime (touch wood) in the last 3 years that wasn't a wider network outage.

Their customer support is pretty good with less than 10 mins hold time (and decent hold music) and quick turn around on technical queries.

Josh

I've decided I am going to dump BT. They just offered me (a long term BT customer) infinity again, but at £30 a month, plus £15 a month line rental - which is dearer than new customers.

First issue. Phone number X gets all my telephone calls in and out, but broadband is on line 2 with a different phone number, but no calls at all. So I have asked them to swap the numbers. A number change is £40. However a number swap is £80. I suspect that though extortionate it's probably the best route. Swap the numbers so my proper number is attached to the broadband, then cancel the unused number. This will save me nearly two hundred quid a year, and then I can get proper comparison quotes. The first decent one I get, I'll shift and blow losing my BT old email address.

First issue. Phone number X gets all my telephone calls in and out, but broadband is on line 2 with a different phone number, but no calls at all. So I have asked them to swap the numbers. A number change is £40. However a number swap is £80.

Much better would be to port number X into VoIP and cease line 1. Leave line 2 alone.

Swapping the numbers you run serious risk of it being treated as 2 x cease and reprovide, involving disconnection of phone and broadband service and disruption for several days (hopefully) or weeks (unlikely but not impossible)

Tend to agree - but the reason I have two lines is BTs inability to get the internet going on the other line, and the current situation was the result of exactly the kinds of problems you've detailed. I've no trust in them at all - so they assured me that the number swap would be trouble free - and once I get my proper number on the internet line, I can simply disconnect the internal phone wiring from that number, and connect it to the broadband line. The socket for the broadband master socket is right next to the extension outlet last in the chain - so linking those together is a simple matter, and with the other end disconnected - this seems simple. The other thing is that BTs sale people are not the kinds of people who seem to understand other than options on the screen. My internet invoice just arrived (not the phone line) and it's £61 +VAT for the quarter. Adding two line rentals (soon to be just one) recovers the £80 fairly quickly.

As to a new supplier? No idea yet.

Move your phone number to VoIP, it has a number of advantages, including making and receiving calls on that number while away from base. Get a router with a VoIP server built in to connect to your existing telephone wiring.

If you make lots of calls a monthly package provider like Vonage may be best, if you mostly receive calls then a provider like sipgate may be better.

Abandon the dodgy line, get a cheaper and better broadband service on the good line. I was very happy with O2 broadband, but they've sold that business to Sky now.

Archived