LED Par Can controller help

RichM

A soundman needs help!

A venue I work in has just upgraded their stage lighting to 8 LED par cans, 4 3 channel RGB ones backlighting things and 4 white ones on the front. However, they haven't got any sort of controller for them and have asked me to get one.

Only slight problem is I have no idea as to what's needed.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A soundman needs help!

A venue I work in has just upgraded their stage lighting to 8 LED par cans, 4 3 channel RGB ones backlighting things and 4 white ones on the front. However, they haven't got any sort of controller for them and have asked me to get one.

Just a couple of questions - any idea on the budget (sound like a relatively small rig, so I'm guessing not huge, what will be the expertise of the operator (if there is one), ranging from dedicated person to 'just needs to press a button whilst also mixing sound and what is the expectaion of the venue?

Anyone, pending further info, I'll take the first guess that something like this might do the job?

http://www.greenwichinst.com/products/GWDMX

Depending on the exact model, you might also find that some/all of the lanterns have some built-in sound to light settings which they can be set to so they will at least beat to the music by themselves in the interim (using built-in mic)?

A soundman needs help!

Just a couple of questions - any idea on the budget (sound like a relatively small rig, so I'm guessing not huge, what will be the expertise of the operator (if there is one), ranging from dedicated person to 'just needs to press a button whilst also mixing sound and what is the expectaion of the venue?

Anyone, pending further info, I'll take the first guess that something like this might do the job?

http://www.greenwich.../products/GWDMX

Budget is low, yes :D Operator will be me and I'll be busy with sound. So simple. Sound to light isn't really needed, I just want a few colour washes for the back and the ability to turn the front lights on and off.

If its simplicity and the ability to handle different fixtures then this may to the trick - http://prolight.co.uk/DJ/item.php?id=507179

The desk allows you to define the channels against each fixture. For example you could setup fixture group1 as the RGB pars and fixture group2 as the white pars. The desk then has preset fades, colours and chases/scenes built in.

There are a range of DMX desks brought out for LED's. The Prolite will do and seems to have more features than the Showtec LED Commander. If you search through the Blue Room posts using an external search engine, you will find discussions and explanations on how to use these cheap, but effective desks. LED Commander manual.

You can programme a range of scenes and chases that can be played back at the press of one button to make lighting easy for you. They usually have dedicated smoke and strobe buttons if you need them.

LED Commander, the sub 100 quid answer to alot of similar requrements

http://www.thomann.d...d_commander.htm

That looks ideal, thank you :)

Another question - as we've got loads of mic cable floating around at the venue can I use that to connect the DMX to all the lights? I've asked a few people and got a lot of variations on yes and no :D

Keep it all simple go for a Behringer 24 channel Lc2412 desk. http://www.behringer...cts/LC2412.aspx round £150 they are Professional kit ( bottom end) not dj kit. The Led only desks tend to only work with there own type of led light and all the ones I seen are only 4 channel desks so all your lights have to do same. magic q )magicdmx £10 units are training units they have a 5 hour limit of use without a reset. and you have to have a computer.

if you want to just use the par cans to say be 1 colour and all the same look at a 6 channel fader desk. they cost about £40

But the Behringer route is the simple setup. You will have to learn how to use the desk mind you and how to address the dips on the units but it not that hard.

You will need a 5 pin to 3 pin converter if you get a Lc2412. Using mic cable is fine for most cases so long as your not having long runs or lots of lights. But for a tiny setup it fine.

You should not use mic cable for DMX as DMX cable is a transmission line, however a lot of disco setups do and in your case it is the easiest way to try a controller with the led parcans. Be aware that it can be unreliable so it may be cheaper in the long run to buy DMX cable for peace of mind. Audio cables can have the XLR shell connected to the cable shield. This can cause a ground loop which can play havoc with the DMX signal.

Looking back through Blue Room posts and the Wiki DMX cable says mic cable is unreliable for DMX.

Archived