The Deep Blue Sea - Terence Rattigan

alanhj

In October, Carnon Downs Drama Group will be presenting this play and an integral prop is the gas fire.

I am looking for a 1950's replica gas fire, which clearly can't work, but hopefully has some lighting within it to give the effect of a lit fire.

This is a well known play and must have been performed by many groups but I'm unable to source this gas fire.

If anyone knows where I can hire or borrow one, please contact me via this site.

Thanks,

There are plenty of flame simulations using LEDs of Halogen lights, use a selection from electronic or mechanical flickering to assist orange yellow and blue colours. I suspect a image search on the web may find something like the hardware that you need. which may be replicated for cold use in GRP, plaster or the like. Almost certainly a 50s gas fire would have been out of date and service by the advent of natural gas in the 70's. Have you spoken to A&M hire, or just possibly house clearance people or architectural salvage people in your locality.

West Yorkshire Playhouse produced Deep Blue Sea in Spring 2010 and had a fabulous gas fire (made by the props dept ?) which LX lit beautifully. I don't know if WYP hire out their props, or even if they still have it, but it might be worth a try.

We did this at Greenwich Theatre back in the 80,s. Can't really help you with the 50's prop fireplace and from memory a simple patt. 123 with flame flicker was more than effective visually.

What made it for me was the brilliant, and often understated, direction which required the actual sound of the gas and its subsequent ignition as it was so pertinent to the last moments of the play.

West Yorkshire Playhouse produced Deep Blue Sea in Spring 2010 and had a fabulous gas fire (made by the props dept ?) which LX lit beautifully. I don't know if WYP hire out their props, or even if they still have it, but it might be worth a try.

Thanks for that ClaireL. I will contact them.

When I did the play many years ago in the UK I contacted my local British Gas office and borrowed a genuine one from their museum.

Cheers

Gerry

Thanks Gerry,

We have tried your plan but we are now told that due to H&S Regs, they cannot. won't lend or hire us one out. Don't know if the H&S bit is correct, but British Gas won't help us.

Thanks Gerry,

We have tried your plan but we are now told that due to H&S Regs, they cannot. won't lend or hire us one out. Don't know if the H&S bit is correct, but British Gas won't help us.

As I said it was many years ago when common sense and not "H&S Regs" applied.

Cheers

Gerry

Archived