Inteligent programmeble hardware midi merger

Manuel1975

By programmable I take it you mean you can select what input data gets to what output socket.

I have a MOTU MIDI timepiece AV, and that is an 8 in 8 out programmable merger in a 1u box. It's a mission to configure, but it is very capable.

By programmable I take it you mean you can select what input data gets to what output socket.

I have a MOTU MIDI timepiece AV, and that is an 8 in 8 out programmable merger in a 1u box. It's a mission to configure, but it is very capable.

Sorry missed the programmable part of the title. Please ignore my previous post, I cant help.

Thanks,

That looks like the machine I need.

Does it support multiple simultaneous merge routes?

For instance: Does it enable me to merge midi 1 through 4 and send the combined signal to midi output 1 and merge midi input 4 and 5 and send it to midi output 2?

I have a motu midi express XT sat in the rack next to me, which is pretty easy to configure using their clockworks software on mac (and I assume pc). It will do all sorts of routings, and save to a user recallable preset. I can't try the routings you describe at the moment, but I don't see why it wouldn't be able to deal with what you want. It connects for programming via USB, and is fully stand alone also.

Neil

Does it support multiple simultaneous merge routes? For instance: Does it enable me to merge midi 1 through 4 and send the combined signal to midi output 1 and merge midi input 4 and 5 and send it to midi output 2?

I've done something just like that, so the answer must be yes.

The machine I have is old and ive not used it since 2011, and it connects to the pc's parallel port, but it too (now my memory has been prompted!) was configurable by some PC software, or by the front panel, and once it's configured, it can run stand alone.

As Neil has noted, there are more modern products in their stable than the timepiece AV.

There used to be several of this type of product available, but all have now passed by the wayside.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi dbuckley,

Hope you can help me with this last question:

I want to make two separate midi merges and a midi spilt.

Input 1,2,3,4, are merged and sent to output 1.

Input 1,4, are merged and sent to output 2 AND 3. This is the midi split.

Is this possible with the Motu midi express XT???

Can't find this in the specs... Maybe you could send me the config software for the merger and I could find out myself?

I've just tried to have a play with the config software for the XT, and because I don't have an XT, it won't play ball.

But, I've downloaded its manual from this page. And the answer is I cant tell for sure. I think you can, but perhaps not the way you suggest; when you say "Input 1,4 are merged and sent to output 2 AND 3", I don't think there is a merge "in the middle", I think that inputs 1 and 4 are both connected to outputs 2 and 3, and are merged as they hit the output socket.

Every input and output has both a MIDI filter (called a "muting") and there a channel remapper.

I've just tried to have a play with the config software for the XT, and because I don't have an XT, it won't play ball.

But, I've downloaded its manual from this page. And the answer is I cant tell for sure. I think you can, but perhaps not the way you suggest; when you say "Input 1,4 are merged and sent to output 2 AND 3", I don't think there is a merge "in the middle", I think that inputs 1 and 4 are both connected to outputs 2 and 3, and are merged as they hit the output socket.

Every input and output has both a MIDI filter (called a "muting") and there a channel remapper.

Thanks!

Downloaded the manual and this did not make everything 100% clear so ive dropped the motu support guys a question...!

Thanks again!

Archived