Artnet (or real DMX) trigger button

lite_lad

Hi,

Looking for a button or even something which can have an analogue input which when pressed sends out a value to full on a DMX channel.

Im looking for something which could send triggers to an MA (and potentially other consoles in the future) using the DMX/artnet in.

It would be nice if it was re-addressable, particularly if it was artnet but I can work around it if not...

and If nobody knows of a ready made solution haas anyone got ideas on how to make one?

Thanks!

Mux (opposite of a Demux) and a small LV supply?

Arduino with a DMX shield or RS485 o/p should do it also, just need to know how to program the thing?

David

Artistic License Mux: http://www.esl-france.com/SHARED/TELECHARGEMENT/MANUELS/ANGLAIS/ARTISTIC/DMX-MUX.PDF

Botex Mux: (prob cheaper than the AL one) http://www.m-s-v.eu/ebizz/sh/a_einzel.aspx?SP=2&ANR=MUX-24

that looks perfect! and the word I should have been searching for!

out of interest has anyone seen an artnet version?

I've built and artnet setup on arduino before, it works just fine, the real question is whether you can use midi to DMX and use the plethora of midi triggers that exist?

Wouldn't it be easier to just use a contact closure input, rather than going via DMX or Art-Net?

(DMX and Art-Net are a bit limited for this kind of thing, you would have to expand the box itself to get more then one/two inputs.)

As far as I know, most, if not all of the MA2 consoles have a D-connector on the back with several contact closure inputs - pinout given here.

Almost every mid-to-high-end consoles has a few contact closure inputs that can be used to trigger events and/or macros, either built-in or as an external USB or Ethernet box.

The count and pinouts vary of course, but they're all pretty easy to use.

While there might be a good reason not to use contact closures, I always recommend considering using them first, before thinking about more complex methods!

Wouldn't it be easier to just use a contact closure input, rather than going via DMX or Art-Net?

(DMX and Art-Net are a bit limited for this kind of thing, you would have to expand the box itself to get more then one/two inputs.)

As far as I know, most, if not all of the MA2 consoles have a D-connector on the back with several contact closure inputs - pinout given here.

Almost every mid-to-high-end consoles has a few contact closure inputs that can be used to trigger events and/or macros, either built-in or as an external USB or Ethernet box.

The count and pinouts vary of course, but they're all pretty easy to use.

While there might be a good reason not to use contact closures, I always recommend considering using them first, before thinking about more complex methods!

The main reason for using something like this is to more build it into the system and as these triggers would be onstage its not always possible/convient to get them to the desk. Also for backup purposes with MA this would mean that should a laptop takeover control it would still get these triggers.

also think, particularly something like the common-sense box (which I have got at that bargain price! was hard to say no...) has a lot more potential with the applications you could use it for!

Archived