Rigging Training - Course Advice

Hi,

I'm after some advice on a training course which will allow me to be recognised as having some skills in rigging.

I have been working at a volunteer theatre for nearly 10 years, got taught various bits of rigging from the previous resident tech, and have picked up quite a lot when working at other venues with hire companies that explained bits and let you help out. All been good. Started doing some freelance work for small operatic societies did a bit of rigging of existing bars, erected truss (under supervision), etc.

I have been getting to the point where I have been working on my own, and whilst within my comfort zone of knowledge, this is always being pushed. I also had to turn down freelance work as I didn't have any qualifications or any proof that I was competent at rigging. I have already completed working at height, PASMA and shortly getting IPAF, so that side of things is fine.

I have seen two styles of course, and wondered what people thought of them, or if anyone had any suggestions of other things I should look at.

Option 1 is Equipment suspension, which from a quick Google is offered by Stage Electrics (http://www.stage-ele...Suspension.aspx) and the Backstage Academy (http://www.backstage...ion-and-rigging), although both are run by Eric Potter, so I am guessing are essentially the same.

Option 2 is Rigging, which from the Backstage Academy (http://www.backstage.../rigging-course), again run by Eric Potter. Similar courses available elsewhere. The rigging seems to incorporate all of the content of the equipment suspension course - in more detail and a wider breadth.

I realise that I will not cover everything in 1 or 2days, but want to be considered as competent for rigging lighting, set and pa systems, both on existing fixed lighting bars, using truss on stands and through hoists.

Any suggestions or guidance from anyone?

Cheers,

As an alternative to those you could always ring Eric Porter and see if he has any of his courses running! :rolleyes:

This is only half a joke as Eric "Don't call me Potter!" Porter does actually do all sorts of training all over Europe and can deliver bespoke courses at very little notice.

Chris Higgs does rigging training with Total Fab still I believe and is equally as good as Eric. I think you will find that most BR riggers would recommend those two before anyone.

NB you will not be "competent" after whatever training you undertake and need experience for that but you should be "safe".

Thanks, very useful information.

I have read Chris' books and they are very good - I imagine his training is equally as clear.

I fully agree with what you say about not being competent until experience is gained. I have a moderate amount of experience, but want to validate that, and then prove I am at a level where I can work with others more experienced than me and learn from them.

Have you any suggestions on whether I should follow the 1 day equipment suspension or the 2 day riggers course?

I'm after some advice on a training course which will allow me to be recognised as having some skills in rigging.

There is no such thing. The best you're going to find is a training course that will allow you to be recognised as someone who's done a training course. ;)

Of the two short courses you mention, you'd be wanting option 2.

The 3-day courses on offer at Total Fabs or UK Rigging (with essentially identical course content) would also be an option.

Ditto Seano. The two day course is what you need to get a start.

During a two-day course, there is a limit to what one can convey; but if I can convey understanding, I’ve really achieved something. The modern instant availability of immeasurable amounts of information is all very well, but without understanding, it is bald factual stuff. With understanding you can take information, choose to practice techniques, learn new skills and turn that two-day training period into a springboard for something much bigger.

Full article Here!

Archived