Prelude Profiles...

Ynot

Investigating why some of our old stock of Prelude profiles were giving less output than others we investigated, expecting 500w bubbles instead of the 650s...

However, two have been found with NO reflector at all, which sort of explains the problem!!

Seems like any viable source of spares has dried up, so I'm looking for anyone who might have any squirrelled away, or as an option, any old lanterns for spares...?

If you've not tried them, a call to the guys at CCT who have (or certainly had 2-3 years ago!) a largish selection of odd spares with a good knowledge of what they potentially fit might bear fruit.

If you've not tried them, a call to the guys at CCT who have (or certainly had 2-3 years ago!) a largish selection of odd spares with a good knowledge of what they potentially fit might bear fruit.

Sadly not - just called and all they have for Preludes are colour frames.

:(

Er...

The guy who reported the missing reflectors is a tad embarrassed...

I checked them yesterday and couldn't find any that were short of the rather important bit of polished tin but I did note that two of them (28/40s) have fixed reflectors while the 6 x 16/30s have reflectors that are attached to the lamp tray and thus easily visible when checking the lamps.

Oh well.

Er...

The guy who reported the missing reflectors is a tad embarrassed...

I checked them yesterday and couldn't find any that were short of the rather important bit of polished tin but I did note that two of them (28/40s) have fixed reflectors while the 6 x 16/30s have reflectors that are attached to the lamp tray and thus easily visible when checking the lamps.

Oh well.

We tried to do some maintenance on our Prelude zooms last year and found that there were at least two types of reflector - a shiny one and a dull speckled one and they are not interchangeable (but both work fine in some lanterns). Secondly there were at least two fittings between the 10 lanterns we have.so not any reflector even fits at all. I suspect also the reflectors in the two zoom models are different as well as some reflectors didn't seem to work in any (or they might have been fresnel/PC ones). It was probably us that cleaned out the supply of Prelude reflectors but we still have two dim Preludes which don't focus properly despite ensuring lamp and lenses are properly aligned and different reflectors tried in both. We spent the best part of a day trying to figure it out to get all 10 working as well as possible and this was on a Sunday as an amateur during summer maintenance. I will check if we still have any reflectors which were rejected for the Preludes we have, but might just work in someone else's! I will report back if we do. Peter

we still have two dim Preludes which don't focus properly despite ensuring lamp and lenses are properly aligned and different reflectors tried in both.

And I thought it was just us that had that problem :) We fixed ours by swapping over the reflector from a 28/40 into a 16/30.

The Prelude Fresnel/PC reflector has a flat metal donut riveted onto its front, and travels with lamp as it slides backwards and forwards. The reflectors on our Prelude profiles (28/40 and 16/30) are attached to the lamp tray but don't travel with the lamp when the peak is adjusted. The reflectors on our Cantatas aren't fixed to the lamp tray, but are attached to the back plate of the lamp house. I didn't know Strand ever did that with some of the Prelude range.

If your reflector is dull, then its knackered. The reflectors are made from chrome plated Aluminium, and the plating gradually gets ruined by the different expansion rates of the two materials. Its not the most well thought out design, but at least its better than our CCT Fresnels which actually melted holes through some of their reflectors :)

we still have two dim Preludes which don't focus properly despite ensuring lamp and lenses are properly aligned and different reflectors tried in both.

If your reflector is dull, then its knackered. The reflectors are made from chrome plated Aluminium, and the plating gradually gets ruined by the different expansion rates of the two materials. Its not the most well thought out design, but at least its better than our CCT Fresnels which actually melted holes through some of their reflectors :)

Yes we had shiny reflectors which were dull in the centre and these were swapped out last summer. But some of our Preludes - which are the brightest ones - have a dull faceted reflector in them. If we put a shiny reflector in these, they go dark by comparison. If we try to put their dull reflector in one with a shiny one, they also go dark! These are the ones I was talking about. It is possible that these are not original Strand parts - maybe Used Lighting put them in when they were overhauled, but they work fine?

Faceted reflectors? I've never seen any on our motley selection of Preludes. Do your dull and shiny reflectors have the same curvature? That's the only thing I can think of that would explain the difference in light output. I don't think having a dull finish would somehow increase reflectivity :D

Archived