Tabla mics

gafferted

I mixed a Bollywood style gig last night but was struggling a bit with the tabla sound. Having very little experience of these instruments I had an sm57 on the top and started with a kick drum mic from the Shure kit (dont know the exact model) on the bass. The bass was really out of control so I swapped to another 57 which seemed to improve matters but to be honest still didn't seem ideal.

Does anyone out there have any ideas/suggestions for next time?

Thanks in advance

Have in the past used a large diaphragm condensor positioned centrally between the drums about 30cm away.

My believing is that table are more of an acoustic instrument due to the way they are played and should be miced as such.

Agree that a condenser/overhead would be my choice but take a look at tabla videos on Theytub. They really don't care and often use a single SM58 about 15-30cms above and between the heads.

You are looking to get finger clicks and a generally ambient sound so treat as you would a voice, rather than individual acoustic instruments. Being too specific in trying to separate each drum might be your problem but that is just opinion.

Almost every tabla player I've encountered has insisted on a single '58 between the tabla and the dagga. Offering mics that might produce better results is generally refused. Maybe that's just Leicester players...

I've only miked tabla a couple of times but, on both occasions, I used a small diaphragm condenser (or two when the player had three drums) with the mics between the drums. Main reason for the SDC was simply the smaller visual footprint but the sound was excellent. As for which SDC, once was with C451s and the other time with an sE1A. Both worked fine.

I agree with Bobbsy on this one. Many years ago I used to do a lot of Asian dance with live musicians. I found a single small diaphragm condensor gave the best results. It was an AKG C451/CK1 back then.

John

Many thanks for the replies guys.

Almost every tabla player I've encountered has insisted on a single '58 between the tabla and the dagga. Offering mics that might produce better results is generally refused. Maybe that's just Leicester players...

I took the advice of the player who insisted he needed 3 mics!

Next time I'll know better and treat the group of drums more as a single instrument. I have a couple of SDCs which should fit the bill.

Eddie

For a while I did a lot of Bhangra bands, usually doing monitors. Bollywood is quieter but the same still applies, the tabla and the dholak (double headed drum) play a really important part in leading the rhythm. Arguably more so than the conventional drummer or Octopad drum machine that might be playing. Getting the top end to cut through the mix can be tricky, you want to eq it differently to the lower drum. 2 SM57's is the way to do it.

Handy bonus hint on getting the bottom end of both those instruments sounding right: That low mid tone that sounds like the feedback or ringing you try desperately to get rid of from floor toms by gating them is the noise you want to keep on this occasion. I've not worded that as clearly as I want to, ermm it's the bahwhoomm sound that you are after.

Cheers,

Peter

Archived