LED Pars Compared to 1KW Par

Harvey_51

Hi Guys,

Sorry if this has been done before, did have a search on the forum but no luck. Basically I am looking at getting some LED par 64's and was wondering how they compare in brightness to a normal p64. I am ideally looking at getting something from the LEDJ range so if any one could recommend something that would be great

Thanks in advance

Jordan

There are lots of different models of LEDJ par can, but as a general rule:

LED pars which use 36x1W or 12x3W leds are comparable in brightness to 1KW pars when producing saturated colours. For blues the LED par is much brighter. However for ambers, yellows and white then a 1KW par is much brighter.

LED pars which use a large number of small 5mm or 10mm LEDs are quite a bit dimmer than a 1KW par and also tend to be very narrow angle.

LED pars which use a large number of small 5mm or 10mm LEDs are quite a bit dimmer than a 1KW par and also tend to be very narrow angle.

Good grief! Are people still using the smaller LEDs? They aren't really made with consistency in mind. I've had different batches of LEDs from the same supplier with widely differing beam angles.

I have to again recommend the lanta fireball quads. I have no connection to the company we just own lots of them and every time I use them I am still suprised how bright and punchy they are.

Hi Jordan - I love my pair of Lanta Fireball Quads but beware that the fans are relatively noisy for a theatre environment. In our case we perform mostly plays so that means I can't use them much. If you are planning to use them in an environment where this does not matter then they are very good value and have a fairly wide beam angle (about 30 deg if I remember correctly). I used them for a fashion show recently - they are bouncing off the glitter curtain and provided a nice colour wash even when the catwalk was later full lit. Peter

That certainly is a bit of fan noise but no way near as loud as the fans in movers, for example. so as peter said above for rock and roll theatre not a problem, but for plays and the like in a small space they may be a tad too loud.

Mumedia Lighting have a new MD MLP-18*10W-RGBWA 5in1 LED PAR Outdoor that equals a PAR64 in everything except open white. No fan noise as it is an outdoor model. Weighs 6.5kg for heat dissipation.

Remember that the wider the beam angle, the lower the intensity as you are spreading the light out on a wider surface.

Hi Guys,

Sorry if this has been done before, did have a search on the forum but no luck. Basically I am looking at getting some LED par 64's and was wondering how they compare in brightness to a normal p64. I am ideally looking at getting something from the LEDJ range so if any one could recommend something that would be great

Thanks in advance

Jordan

Jordan

I have 4 of the LEDJ alupar zooms they have 24 x 3W LEDs (8 red, 8 green, 8 blue). They zoom, from 10 degrees to 60 degrees. When all the LEDs are running they produce a cold white light that is not comparable even to a 500W par can but when saturated colours are needed they are great. I once put one on just blue and put it up against a 2kW cadenza with Lee 119 (deep blue of a similar colour to the blue of the LEDs)A single Alupar zoomed down was brighter.

This might seem far fetched but when you consider that LEDs are about 80% efficient (8 x3W x 0.8 = 19.2W of actual energy coming out as light)

2kW cadenza might be 20% effient will produce 400W of light when open (no gel) Lee 119 is about 2.5% transmittence so 2.5% of 400W is 10W of light output.!!!

The figures are only approximate

They are very good value for money as well.

Hope this helps

:)

Hello Jordan

For some quad colour options have a look at the

LEDJ46 http://www.prolight.co.uk/DJ/item.php?id=509345 We can offer these at £279 inc VAT each

They have RGB and white leds - 18 x 8 watt with a 25 degree beam angle

Good VFM would be the LEDJ252 http://www.prolight.co.uk/DJ/item.php?id=509541 We can offer these at £185 each inc VAT

The have RGB and White leds - 18 x 8 watt with a 40 degree beam angle

Drop us a pm if you need any further info or prices.

Cheers

Adrian

Hi Guys,

Thanks very much for the replies! Like the look of the Lanta fireball Quad,Vinntec in that fashion show picture is it just 2 units on the glitter curtain? looks like a very good output.

So as the Fireball quads and the LEDJ46 both have 18x8watt LED's the output should be the same? Has anyone got any experience with the Chauvet colorado's and how the output of these would compare to the fireball.

Thanks Again

Jordan

Like the look of the Lanta fireball Quad,Vinntec in that fashion show picture is it just 2 units on the glitter curtain? looks like a very good output.

Hi Jordan - yes just two - one either side at fairly awkward angles pointed across the glitter curtain. Peter

Not sure of the light output but from their spec they seem to be a quality and versatile fitting

http://www.chauvetlighting.co.uk/colorado-1-quad-tour.html

I presume you mean the 7 x 10 colorado quads?

We can offer you a price on these if you require.

It seems that the beam angle is 11.5 degrees with a field of 25, 1650 lumen at 5m.

PM me if you need a quote on the Chauvet colarado quad.

Yeah - LED lights tend to exceed their PAR equivs - except for pure whites, when they are generally near equal. They test to be smaller form factor too.

I know this as its been quite the topic of conversation in our offices this week, trying to get the right information for the Dazer LED PARs we've been listing. They're billed as PAR56 - but they are actually PAR64 replacements in brightness. Once we've finished the paperwork and meetings on this we'll be swapping them over.

That's an interesting post, Darren. Everyone else has felt that LED pars are less bright in white than a traditional par but you feel that the ones your company make are as good. I looked at the specs online and I notice you don't quote any figures to back this up. Can you quote lumens or anything similar that can confirm this?

You must also forgive my lack of knowledge of these things but I don't know what "smaller form factor" means and wikipedia didn't really help. Can you assist?

Finally, when you say you will be "swapping them over" do you mean you'll be calling the erstwhile Par56s Par64s from now on or you'll be re-engineering them to be the size of a Par 64?

I notice you've gone with RGB not RGBW or RGBA. Can you get anywhere near a true white or are they mainly designed for saturated colours?

Seems very interesting.

Archived