Flush Closing Sliding door

Hi All

I need to incorporate a sliding door into some steel framed flats, the trick is that it must be flush with it's surroundings when closed but drop behind to open. I wildly assumed, that in this modern world, this would be easily available. I have found what appears to be the perfect system:

Unfortunately the perfect system comes with the perfect price tag of £519.99! I expected to have to fork out a few pounds on this (maybe up to £100ish) but there's no way that I can stretch to £519.99. Does anyone on here have any clever suggestions for how I might achieve a similar system? It must be hung, without any kind of guide track on the floor. All ideas welcome.

Many Thanks

Mike

Does the mechanism also have to end up flush to the flat?

It seems to me that you need something that will act like the side door of a large people carrier or van...could you pop down to the local scrap yard and see if you could salvage the top track & runners from an aforementioned vehicle, which you could then mount to your flat?

Ian

Edited to add:

Alternatively, you could get creative with a router and some castors...?

The mechanism ideally wants to be hidden behind the flat. I don't think that a van door type runner would work because, unless the mechanism was on the face of the flats, the door would have to open onto the face rather than dropping behind. Unfortunately I think that the door will need to drop behind as there will be things in the way in front. There may be something to be said for some clever routing of a home made track.

The mechanism ideally wants to be hidden behind the flat. I don't think that a van door type runner would work because, unless the mechanism was on the face of the flats, the door would have to open onto the face rather than dropping behind. Unfortunately I think that the door will need to drop behind as there will be things in the way in front. There may be something to be said for some clever routing of a home made track.

I think you are looking at this suggestion the wrong way round. imagine that the face of the door which is visible to the audience is the inside of the van/people carrier. When the door of the van is closed the door has come towards the passengers, the track that it opens onto is "behind" the other side panels of the van (ie upstage)

I see what you mean with the van door now. I will take a look at the mechanism on the transit at work to see if looks like a workable solution (although I imagine that taking the door off to test the theory may be a step too far?)

Archived