Micing Tap dance from under rostra

Neil_m_123

Check out the way Rory McLeod and the great flamenco dancers do it with ply flooring and built in mics. As Paul writes, under decking all you get is stampeding Wildebeest noise.

Stampeding wildebeest, that made me laugh out loud! It immediately brought to mind an amateur production of 42nd street I once had the misfortune to do sound for...

I had a roughly-related task a while ago, putting mics underneath a wrestling ring to get added impact from their moves. Similar to mics under rostra, you get lots of thump but not much definition. And lots of squeaking springs, which needed some pretty brutal EQ.

I was sound number 1 and 2 on Hot Shoe Shuffle back in the 90's.

We had an onstage band, and 9 radios (only 9 in the cast). All the tap was live and we used 4 AKG 451/CK1 with the 'angly' bits on mounted in a foam mouse across the front of the stage and 2 Neumann KMR mics (1 each side). The amount of tap we got was very good.....we had to convince some members of the audience that it wasn't all recorded (the band were hidden for Act 1 and some of Act 2)

Jon

I've done both the boundary mic technique and the C451 with swivel head and both worked really well (except you can't buy that model of 451 anymore).

At the most extreme, I was once asked to run MKE2 lavs down both trouser legs and radio mic the whole thing--best sound ever but I'm not sure it was enough better than boundaries to make it worth the expense and palaver.

Hi there

Did a show last year which featured Joaquin Cortes and his sound engineer / production manager persuaded the promoters to build these custom 8x4 decks which were laid ontop of the steeldeck stage.

https://www.dropbox....0final%2002.pdf

https://www.dropbox....cefloor%201.jpg

The final dance floor was 48ft x 48ft and we mic'd it using 16x pcc160' fed into a mackie submixer.

Once the lids were screwed done the his monitor engineer eq's the mic's by walking around tapping the floor with a broom handle.

The results were very effective indeed if you have the time/wood/cash but if you are going to tour the show and the taps have to be live then this would be my prefered option.

If have more construction drawings if anyone is really interested

Mark

Archived