LightProcesor Qpack power supply card problem

Barney

Hi BR,

I have an old LightProcessor Qpack dimmer, which has been given to me as it stopped working.

Opening up the pack, it is apparent that one of the big capacitors on the power supply card (Rev.2) has popped (a while ago it would seem). This has deposited its contents across the PCB and also taken out the on-board control fuse (T100mA L250V).

I can replace the capacitor (1000uF 25V), and I guess it would be a good idea to replace the other identical one on the board, but my question is: is this incident likely to have damaged any other components on the board?

They all look fine, although need a clean, but I guess the gunk could have shorted out at least one of the LM324N chips, and possibly something else.

Has anyone else had this problem, or is a LightProcessor guru around who could give some suggestions?

I'll try to post a pic of the board when I get home, in case that helps.

Thanks all,

Barney

The popped cap is unlikely to have done any other damage. Just replace them both and the fuse with the SAME type and rating. If it blows again then the rectifier that feeds the caps is probably faulty too. Do make sure that you clean the board thoroughly as the gunge contains an electrolyte of course!

Dave

Cheers Dave,

I assume the best/easiest/acceptable way to clean is with warm water and a cotton bud, allowing it to dry thoroughly before re-seating the card and connecting back up?

Barney

Cheers Dave,

I assume the best/easiest/acceptable way to clean is with warm water and a cotton bud, allowing it to dry thoroughly before re-seating the card and connecting back up?

Barney

Sounds OK - just make sure that you have got the water out of any nooks and crannies. In particular, blow it out from under the chips with a can of air and then finish it off with a hairdryer - should do the trick.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update, in case anyone else comes across this problem in the future.

Cleaned up the card that was covered in electrolyte and dried thoroughly.

Replacing the 2 large capacitors (1000uF 25V), two smaller ones (100uF 25V), and a new control fuse sorted the problem and the dimmer pack now works fine. Result!

Barney

Archived