Clay Paky Astrodisco

maxjones2000

So, me and a friend have been doing some maintenance work at a local performing arts university/college, and while we were searching through the many cupboards in the main theatre, we came across a rather funky-looking "vintage" disco light... a bit of a random find considering this is a fairly new venue!

After a quick Google, it turns out that this 'contraption' is a Clay Paky Astrodisco.

So, does anyone know much about this 'fixture'? We know it was released in 1982, and apparently was the first ever fixture made by CP. However, how would this be controlled? Obviously it's well before the days of DMX, and I guess it wouldn't be analogue control because of stepper motors etc. Would it just run a 'random' chase?

Also, it was mounted on what looked like a pantograph. At first, we thought it was just balanced on top, however after further inspection, it seemed to be attached. Was this standard for certain models, or is this like an aftermarket addition? Unfortunately, we couldn't find any manufacturer markings, so cannot really provide any more details.

What sort of lamp would this beast have? Judging by some of the videos on YouTube of them, it looks pretty punchy, so must be fairly powerful!

Are these things rare?

What sort of value would this have? Obviously, value isn't all that important, but it would be nice to know just for completeness!

Sorry to ask so many questions, but we were really fascinated by this hidden treasure, and naturally wanted to find out more but hit a brick wall upon Googling it!!

Cheers,

Max J

Note: I have three (rather blurry) pictures of this, but it won't let me upload them at the moment! Will try again in a bit!

We have one, I was looking for one on ebay for quite some time before I found one. I paid £200 or thereabouts for it, they seem to go for around £400 normally. Ours wasn't listed as a clay paky astrodisco so didn't attract other bids.

Ours is an astrodisco 3 which means it's got 3 degrees of movement, there was an astrodisco 2 which didn't rotate the base I believe.

Not sure on the lamp, but think it's 150w,its bright enough to fill a large marquee with beams quite happily. I love it, think it's a great light but needs using fairly sparingly to keep the impact of it.

There's no control on ours (yet!) you just turn the power on and all 3 motors spin and the lamp comes on. I intend to fit a 4 channels DMX switch pack to control the 3 motors and lamp in the winter when I get some time.

There's a few videos on YouTube of it in action. You do need a large space and it to be in the centre of the room to get the best out of it tho!

I love all the old centrepiece lights, there doesn't seem to be much like them anymore...

We had one at Reading Uni in the early nineties, great bit of kit in the day ours was wired via bulgin to a 4 way switch pack, lamp plus 3 motors, the skill in operating it was in timing of button pressing.

One went on e-bay for over £900 My link earlier in the year

ive had a few of these over the years on my "vintage collection".

control is simply different switched circuits for the lamp, base motor, arm motor and disk motor. Simple mains switching, nothing fancy. No stepper motors inside, these use shaded pole motors with gear boxes.

the lamp is a 24V 150w capsule, good optics makes them punchy enough.

That pun in the subject line cannot be left unmentioned!

But I'm in love, this is such a lovely effect, I want one. Bet there isn't a single one in New Zealand. I have no idea what I would do with it, another than hang it in the garage, and fog the joint. Perhaps get the club to mount a production of Saucy Jack and let disco save my life...

Also, it was mounted on what looked like a pantograph. At first, we thought it was just balanced on top, however after further inspection, it seemed to be attached. Was this standard for certain models, or is this like an aftermarket addition? Unfortunately, we couldn't find any manufacturer markings, so cannot really provide any more details.

Lynx Elevator, motorised winch pantograph to allow your centrepiece to lower in for added effect as it powers up.

Archived