Corrupt Lighting Show Files

Don Allen

I have had three 48/96 memory desks do a system clear on me at power on (several times each) and have been told it was probably caused by a corrupt lighting show file so I am trying to understand

How do they occur ?

How often do they occur ?

How do you fix them ?

Is it a different solutions for desks and pc ?

It certainly taught me to keep backing up because I did not back up every plotting session.

Hi Don - you really need to provide some clearer information: What make of desk? What model? Precise symptoms? A 48/96 could be any number of things: ETC Express, Strand 300, Zero 88 Leapfrog, etc etc etc. Peter

I have had three 48/96 memory desks do a system clear on me at power on (several times each) and have been told it was probably caused by a corrupt lighting show file so I am trying to understand

How do they occur ?

I cant talk about lighting desk specifically but in general I would say the most likely cause of a corrupt file is an interrupted write. If the desk loses power, or you jog the disk/ pull out the memory card during the write out then you can end up with a file that starts correct then looks like garbage.

How often do they occur ?

This is harder to say although if you are seeing the frequently it might be time to think about replacing your media, as most memory systems have a limited life.

How do you fix them ?

This depends on the file, some are almost impossible, it might just be that your missing a line off the end that can replaced by hand. I would genrally try and avoid being in a place where this was what you had to do!

Is it a different solutions for desks and pc ?

PC's may have a variety of methods that can help mitigate against these, but again it depends on the OS and the software running it.

It certainly taught me to keep backing up because I did not back up every plotting session.

This is by far the best plan

Hi

If your talking about a Zero88 Leaprog 48/96 does it freeze on you and then have the need to do a power cycle and then it wont load up, or is it generally on load up. I have had an issue with my leapfrog 96 desk where if the command prompt function isn't open and you try typing in a command eg '12*100Enter' this will freeze the desk up ad on a power cycle it will ask you to back up but will not boot and I need to reinstall the software. zero88 know about this issue and they plan to fix it in the next release.

CArwyn

I was looking for a generic reply but I will go into specifics.

First desk is an LSC maxim XL with PatPad, an early serial number as it has a floppy drive backup. Batteries were replaced about a year ago. Diagnostics show batteries fully charged, but that may always show as the batteries start charging when you turn the desk on. No power interruptions during plotting or operating. Desk total reset does not always happen every time desk is turned on. Used for community theatre show Thur, Fri, Sat nights, every second Sunday afternoon for four weeks.

Second desk was a new LSC Domino XT 48/96. Sat in carton for three weeks then started plotting for two weeks then two runs each week. No power interruptions during plotting or operating. Had several system resets at power on after being off overnight.

Third desk was a new maxim XL. New out of carton, plotted for two hours, backed up to usb, got corruption warning. Turned desk off, put into bio box, got system reset at power on, restored show from usb ok. No power interruptions during plotting.Have left desk on for 24 hours to charge up batteries.

Hi Don - I know very little about LSC desks having only ever used one once (an XL if I remember correctly) for a pantomime some years ago. I had a quick look on the LSC support site and their are lots of reports of corrupted show files for various reasons. Have you checked that any of these apply to you as it might be a problem with media, software versions, or something else - although it seems unlikely that three different desks show the same error without a common cause? This would be a good place to put your problem if none of these apply but then come back and tell us what the solution is so that other LSC people don't have the same error. I have been lighting for a long time and I have never had corrupted media on either floppy disk (Strand 500, Strand 300, Zero 88 Fat Frog, ETC Express), memory card (Zero 88 Sirius) or USB (ETC ION and since recently our upgraded Fat Frog). But I might have been lucky (he says touching his wooden head as we open tonight).

One thing which might be common, of course, is the quality of the incoming power supply (if this is a common site as well as a common fault)? Power glitches due to lightning, for example, can cause the memory to become corrupt in extreme cases so is there any chance it is a dirty supply that causes the desk to reset?

Peter

I have looked at the LSC forums and have been in touch with LSC about the desk resets.

I am trying to get on top of a fault that I have not experienced before.

I am used to repairing lighting desks with flat backup batteries, they usually have corrupt operations as well as corrupt data so you have a clearer indication of what the fault is.

Checked the new maXim this afternoon and it did a system reset after being switched off and waiting for five minutes before switching back on. The desk had been on and charging the batteries for almost 24 hours. The desk diagnostics said the battery voltage was 6.62v battery charged.

I will have to get a mains voltage monitor as the mains supply is the one common factor for all three desks.

The flash drive supplied with two of the desks was a Cruzer Switch 8GB which has embedded files so I will have to get a plain formatted flash drive to try.

Archived