Fat Frog Faders

Tehseen

Hey

We have a frog and a fat frog where I work. We don't use the frog and the fat frog has a broken fader so I thought I'd take a working one from the frog to replace it. I'm having trouble getting the faders off though. I've taken the console apart and used a soldering iron on the back of the faders but I can't get them to release. Does anyone have any experience with this please?

Hi Amy

Why not give Zero 88 a call in the first instance? They will be able to answer your question in seconds. Incidentally we have a dirty fader on our Fat Frog so if you get an answer can you put it on the forum?

Zero 88 Technical Support Telephone: +44 (0)1633 833101 Email: support@zero88.com

They have always been helpful in the past for just this kind of query,

Peter

TBH, with new faders only costing around £3, I'd not bother trying to remove them intact from a desk to use as spares.

It's much easier to buy new faders as you can then remove the faulty ones in such a way as to minimise risk to the desk itself.

Are you using a solder sucker or wick? It'll be fairly hard to remove a fader one joint at a time without.

Definitely use a solder sucker for faders, but it is very hard to get them off a double sided circuit board without damaging them and/or the circuit board, Brian's advice is good.

From my expericence a decent solder sucker and iron are best for doing this.

Also with these faders there are held in place with two retaining lugs as well as the pins on either end.

PM on the address below if you want any further help.

http://img849.imageshack.us/img849/4081/ybvl.jpg

You also need to be careful about the very thin tracks that connect to the 4 pins at one end - a couple of times I've had them break (and I'm supposed to be good with a soldering iron!) or the through plate has pulled out of the hole as the failed fader has been pulled away.

Definitely have go if you feel your soldering (and desoldering) is up to it - your nearest Zero dealer should be able to order them for you, but most will have them in stock. Otherwise, ask Keith to advise you on your nearest repair centre and let them have the hassle!!

Archived