Moving Heads

Loganp

I am wanting to get some moving heads in the near future. I like the mac 250's. Im trying to start a rental company would investing in mac's pay off I the long run or get some cheeper lights like chauvet or american dj. Thanks

OK.

First of all, welcome to the Blue Room.

However, the answer isn't likely to be what you want to hear.

Before anyone (worth their salt) is going to recommend any fixtures for you to buy there are some questions that you need to ask yourself (as well as give us some of the answers to fill in the huge blanks).

I am going to assume that you are not already a hire company - correct?

So whatever you're planning is a new venture which you think is a 'good idea'...?

Have you identified a market for these moving lights in your area that would warrant you buying in to hire out? What might go down well here in the UK may not be what's wanted in the US.

And cheap/cheerful is seldom a good idea when selecting hiring stock for many reasons.

You do realise that the Mac 250 is no longer manufactured...?

Do you have anywhere to store them when not in use that is secure?

Do you have the knowledge and experience to service and maintain them when they inevitably go faulty..?

Or do you know someone local who does?

Do you have transport suitable for delivering the units to their intended users?

Have you worked out the ongoing service costs that WILL be involved such as lamp replacements..?

Have you considered the additional costs that you will have to allow for such as fuel, premises rental, and insurance both for the units and the public liability?

All these and many more form part of any legitimate hire outlet.

This is just the sort of question we have had many times before on the BR from eager teens who want to splash out with their saved-up allowances or even parents' capital without due consideration for the bigger picture.

If that is not you, then my apologies, but the questions still remain.

Admin here.....

The poster seems to have messed up the quoting below big time. If you can be bothered, his replies to ynot's questions are in here somewhere....

First of all, welcome to the Blue Room.

However, the answer isn't likely to be what you want to hear.

Before anyone (worth their salt) is going to recommend any fixtures for you to buy there are some questions that you need to ask yourself (as well as give us some of the answers to fill in the huge blanks).

I am going to assume that you are not already a hire company - correct? Correct

So whatever you're planning is a new venture which you think is a 'good idea'...? Yes

Have you identified a market for these moving lights in your area that would warrant you buying in to hire out? What might go down well here in the UK may not be what's wanted in the US. I am in the us. Wanting to start a rental company. Many people have asked if I have moving heads. I always say no Most of the people are doing school plays and other small venues like that

And cheap/cheerful is seldom a good idea when selecting hiring stock for many reasons.

You do realise that the Mac 250 is no longer manufactured...? Yes

Do you have anywhere to store them when not in use that is secure? Yes

Do you have the knowledge and experience to service and maintain them when they inevitably go faulty..? Know some people local

Or do you know someone local who does?

Do you have transport suitable for delivering the units to their intended users? Yes plan on building a road case

Have you worked out the ongoing service costs that WILL be involved such as lamp replacements..? Yes that will be factored in the the rental price

Have you considered the additional costs that you will have to allow for such as fuel, premises rental, and insurance both for the units and the public liability? Yes

All these and many more form part of any legitimate hire outlet.

This is just the sort of question we have had many times before on the BR from eager teens who want to splash out with their saved-up allowances or even parents' capital without due consideration for the bigger picture. I am young but I have had much experience. I have been mixing on a venue profile for quite a wile at our church.

If that is not you, then my apologies, but the questions still remain.

Let me commend the http://www.robe.cz/products/article/robin-pointe/

As of 1 June, these listed at GBP 4850 ex VAT each and if you want this price you need to order four of them in a case. That seems to come to GBP 19 400- plus VAT, GBP 3880; total, GBP 23 280.

They are jolly good though.

I'm sure if you ask Uncle Ashley really nicely, he might knock a bit off for you.

Hope that helps

KC

Do you have transport suitable for delivering the units to their intended users? Yes plan on building a road case

A couple of quick pointers here.

Firstly, don't "build" a roadcase. Unless you have access to a wood shop, you won't make a terribly good job of it. And the cost of the raw materials (wood, paint, castors, handles, edging, catches, etc. etc.) is such that you can buy premade cases for very little more than the parts would cost you retail. Also a properly made case will have a resale value that your home-made case won't.

However, the other aspect of "suitable transport" is how you get the lamps, in their road case, to the customers. Have you got access to a big enough vehicle to move the roadcase(s)? Bear in mind the cost of insurance, taxes, etc. etc. It's all overhead that has to be paid for from your rental income.

If your still looking for mac 250's I have lots in stock, sadly not cased but they have all been cleaned and serviced ready to sell.

They may be older lights (these are the earlier version of them so not the plus version) but spare parts are also often cheaper as they are so readily available.

Some of these were ex hire and some were installed so they have been fully rebuilt to bring upto hire standard.

You can see them on my website here : www.jamiesmagictorch.co.uk - more than happy to arrange a deal price for a job lot as there are 17 here for sale

thanks,

jamie

Moderation: Please note, everyone, that the OP is in the USA. Buying Macs from the UK and arranging to get them across an ocean may not be cost effective.

This topic is a bit of a mess at the moment. Perhpas we could all take a little longer to think about our posts before clicking 'Post'.

So now, I'll ask the question we always ask in these situations:

To what purpose are you expecting these fixtures to be put? Plays, bands, dance, church services, clubs, wedding discos, musical theatre, conferences, architectural? All will require different features. The perfect moving head for a heavy metal band may not make the perfect unit for a ballet or to light a building.

Archived