HD-CCTV cameras

Matt Riley

Hi all,

While looking at other video stuff, I stumbled across a number of HD - CCTV cameras. Given that they are optimised to have decent S-N ratios and work well in low light, I was thinking that something like this might be a good option for both locked off 'drummer/keyboard cams' and also a locked off wide shot from the back of the auditorium at relatively low cost (they start at about £150). The only query I have is that apparently they can send 1080p video down a normal (non 3g) HD-SDI cable? I thought you couldn't do that? Does anyone know of anything like this which can work at 1080i(psf) with production switchers instead of 1080p.

Has anyone had any experience of any devices like this in a live situation? Which would you recommend? My other thought was using GoPro 3 Black editions, but I never liked the faffing with the batteries and external power etc that came with it.

M

While looking at other video stuff, I stumbled across a number of HD - CCTV cameras. Given that they are optimised to have decent S-N ratios and work well in low light, I was thinking that something like this might be a good option for both locked off 'drummer/keyboard cams' and also a locked off wide shot from the back of the auditorium at relatively low cost (they start at about £150). The only query I have is that apparently they can send 1080p video down a normal (non 3g) HD-SDI cable? I thought you couldn't do that? Does anyone know of anything like this which can work at 1080i(psf) with production switchers instead of 1080p.

1.5GB/s HD-SDI can do up to 1080/30p (or 1080/60i). You only need 3G-SDI if you want 1080/60p or 12 bit colour sampling. As far as I can tell HDCCTV *is* HD-SDI but using the ancillary data channels in a vendor specific way for camera control despite

http://www.highdefcctv.org/hdcctv-specification

seeming to claim some secret sauce.

If you want a HD box cam that does vanilla HD-SDI output then:

https://www.samsung-security.com/products/security-cameras/analog-cameras/box-cameras/SCB-6000-Analog.aspx

seems to be available. I'd be very interested in what the latency out of this camera is and how fast it can move between colour and black and white modes.

R.e GoPro's - we struggled to get 720p out of a GoPro 3 black (what ever the latest version is) , and ended up using and image pro on the output to upscale to 1080i.

We assumed that having HDMI out would give 1080 but were wrong....

Archived