what am I asking for?

DoctorStar

An electric piano will need a DI (direct injection) box rather than a mic splitter as it is probably going from unbalanced 1/4" jack at a higher level to balanced XLR at mic level.

I use something like this for a piano as it can also handle stereo operation if the piano has a left and right output: http://www.guitarandampshop.co.uk/acatalog/Stagg_SDI-ST_2_Channel_Passive_DI_Box_with_Mono_Stereo_Switch.html

You can then either use the jack out to feed the monitors and the XLR for the front of house or split the XLR output using a mic splitter as you would for any mic level source.

I have a few of these which have worked fine for me for microphones.

I have a couple of these knocking around which are good for keyboards etc. It's passive and needs no power supply or batteries which makes it convenient for my purposes. I've found it ok. Others, more expert than I am, will tell you that active is better. There will be good reasons.

Other makes and suppliers are available.

E2A good reasons instead of reasons.

Mic splitter - not a Y lead. A decent transformer splitter will give earth and phantom power isolation between main and FOH desks and they'll also balance and split keyboards if you use an appropriately wired jack to XLR. Alternatively use a main desk with channel sep outs to provide the splits to the monitor desk but beware of earth loops.

Unless the question is actually "how do I provide two different mixes for PA and monitors" which is an entirely different kettle of fish. Some more details of your problem might be useful here......

In most gigs with a foh and monitor split you'd have a big stage box with a multipin out for each desk.

Just to add some detail here, the vast majority of touring live PA systems with a conventional FOH desk and monitor desk system will be a simple passive split. As long as you decide which desk is providing phantom power to the condenser mics and DI boxes then you are very unlikely to encounter any issues.

The only gigs I've been at where the PA company has invested in transformer splitters have been when a major broadcaster (like Radio 1) has been doing a live broadcast at the same time. At the same time, the transformer iso stuff linked to from CPC seems good value, and it is technically the best way to do it - although you'll likely have to use a passive DI in conjunction with it for the piano as I expect that it will not pass phantom power.

The only gigs I've been at where the PA company has invested in transformer splitters have been when a major broadcaster (like Radio 1) has been doing a live broadcast at the same time.

Iv seen a few used on just live gigs (and equally have done bbc radio live broadcast on passive splits)

but yes passive would be the norm

thinking about keyboard specifically, most keyboards have L/R out AND a headphone out and they often work simultaneously.

For a couple of bands I work with the keyboard players are fussy about having control of their levels to I take L/R signals to FOH mixing desk and the headphone outs of each keyboard to a little baby mixing desk (usually placed on a music stand). I think I paid 50 pounds on ebay for the baby desk - 6 channel. beside the keyboard inputs which the keyboard player can control the level of, I send an aux mix from the front of house desk, usually to give vocals, sax, guitar etc - that then goes to the monitor. it sounds like a lot of work but it's really just 2 extra cables a baby desk and a stand. the fussy keyboard player can control his own keys in his monitor and everyone is happy.

whenever I need to do this, I use my DIs, and use the "loop out" socket to feed back to their monitors, the balanced XLR than goes to me, still just using the L/R out.

although there's more and more keys players that bring their own lil mixer and I just nick an output from that.

Not usually a need to send a mix to the pit for us, when I do its usually because the band what to hear the mics rather than each other.

You have to be VERY careful with passive splits if you have any phantom power floating around the system though. Putting phantom into the input of an expensive monitor desk (or vice versa) is not a good way to make friends.

Archived