Attraction shadow theatre set up

arcsine

How was that set up and would it be possible to recreate it with a school's kit or was there some more advanced kit there?

At the minute I was thinking on using scrim and then lighting it from behind with a couple of floods but I don't think that'll give me that pretty large focal point they had?

They use a video projector to give them a great single point source. The other way is to use a fresnel but remove the lens as your point source but it wont be quite as clear.. interestingly Attraction is a carbon copy of work by a famous troupe called Pilobolus who have already done the Royal Variety and many other huge shows... using almost identical techniques...

How was that set up and would it be possible to recreate it with a school's kit or was there some more advanced kit there?

At the minute I was thinking on using scrim and then lighting it from behind with a couple of floods but I don't think that'll give me that pretty large focal point they had?

If you use a couple of floods , your have a couple of shadows as well!

Its simply one FF screen, and one point source lamp. Ideally a projector or you could use a profile.

One act I saw used a profile and a gobo which created a nice border. Not as funky as using video - but still looked nice!

I have just done this very thing a show. I used Rosco Twinscreen (4m x 2.4m) and a Studio Due Minicity 250. Admittedly the Minicity was bit of an overkill but I had one and it worked quite well with the added bonus of full CMY. As has already been said use one light source or you will get multiple shadows and have your subjects close to the screen

The alternative to try is an old school OHP as your school probably have a bunch rotting in a store somewhere - some of them were reasonably bright, a couple of years ago we used one with a small tank of water on it to add ripples of water over a scene.

Worth a try if you've one knocking around

Archived