online booking systems

bl33dingsaint

Hi folks,

At the minute our venue is using a very basic ticket booking system, managed using an Excel spreadsheet and ticking sold seats off on a printed chart. It is prone to error and inconvenient for the customer in that they can't book tickets online or anything like that. We're looking to upgrade.

What systems are your venue using? Would you recommend them?

Cheers

Daryl

OT: Tony, do you know how ticketsource would deal with a completely free event? Would they still charge a booking fee per transaction? If not it might solve our booking system conundrum.

I'm not the expert on setting up events, but I do know there are options which can be employed to allow buyers to 'pay-on-door' (though that is discouraged by most) so I don't see why it couldn't deal on that basis.

You can set up voucher codes, so set up an event with £2 donation, or use voucher code 'FREE' to get a free ticket?

We used ticket source at my last school/venue, was very useful for us, and popular with the parents and students.

if you have an IT geek and a tame graphic designer then it's well worth looking at FusionTicket; at first glance the set-up/install looks complicated but its worth putting the effort in as the end result is a beautiful ticketing system that enables you to offer EVERYTHING quickly, simply and completely in-house. We use it for all the events we manage and have run it with more than 100,000 tickets "live" without any hiccups or delays.

We use intelligent tickets and did use their online feature. Due to unreliability, we ditched the online bit and now sell a small allocation through a third party online ticket agent. It is still far from ideal.

The reporting on intelligent tickets is not great (our box office manager has to fudge all the time) and there are limits to ticket types.

We are seriously looking at moving to TicketSource. It ticks all the boxes for us and offers a variable fees depending upon the transaction total.

As the minimum charge is 50p per transaction, I suspect that a free show with no fees is probably not possible.

You could use Ticket Leap for [just] your free shows. As there is no charges or fees, the fact that it is more geared to the US is irrelevant.

We have to restart the local service from time to time that interfaces to intelligent tickets's site.

It's flexible enough to cope with our different seating arrangements for pros/round/arena/film night and allows customers to pick their seats and be sure where they're seating, and when it works it does work quite well.

Just to clarify as I made a slight mistake.

We use Nortech Ticketing solution and did use Intelligent Tickets which is the online service which connects to it.

As Alister said, sometimes the connection between the local database and intelligent tickets could be lost. This seem to happen regularly for us. Our IT folks are only 9-5/M-F so this could knock out online sales for the entire weekend. As we could not nail down why connection was lost we had no choice but to cut and run.

It is Nortech that has limits to reporting and ticket types/sets that we are constantly hitting.

We are seriously looking at moving to TicketSource. It ticks all the boxes for us and offers a variable fees depending upon the transaction total.

As the minimum charge is 50p per transaction, I suspect that a free show with no fees is probably not possible.

I would investigate that if I were you - on the odd occasion that someone does get the option of paying cash on collection, there's no fee that I can see on our reports on Ticketsource...

Just looked at one on our owners page and confirm no fees for that type of thing...

Is that not just for in house sales?

I was thinking along the lines of when an event is offered with no admission fee and the patron 'buying' the ticket online and printing out the e-ticket. Thus the minimum booking fee of 50p would be applied to all transactions between 0p and £5. After that the 10% would kick in until the next threshold of £25.

I'll ask my box office manager to clarify this when he talks to them.

• 1 month later...

Archived