avo personality

Dmx512

Hi Technical Forum

Anyone out there who can give me a blow by blow sequence of how to first download a clay paky sharpy profile from my pc and then upload via a memory stick into a pearl expert running on titan.......thanks........Dave

Hi Niclights

just need to get a sharpy profile into my desk from the avo downloads page...I`ve had a few goes to load onto a stick and then tranfer to the pearl but no sharpy appears in the fixture list......

Click here to download.

Copy to stick

Place stick in console

Open explorer and navigate to the stick

Double-click the library to launch the installer and confirm any prompts that appear in the installer dialog.

Restart software

Please note that you should try to keep the library relatively up-to-date. The software should prompt you if you haven't updated in the last six months. The Sharpy has been in the library since 2010 ;)

Hi Niclights

just need to get a sharpy profile into my desk from the avo downloads page...I`ve had a few goes to load onto a stick and then tranfer to the pearl but no sharpy appears in the fixture list......

So to transfer to the pearl you need to open the tools menu, go to folder view, open your USB stick and double click the personality file installer on the stick. Then tools->restart software . Is that what you've tried?

edit: nic beat me to it

Ok ...do I need to plug in a monitor display to open the explorer?

I cant even find the tools menu ......aaaaghh

Yes you will need to plug in an external monitor. The tools menu can be found by clicking on the Avolites logo in the top left corner of the screen. Hope this helps.

Tom.

You should always use an external monitor and/or touch wing with the Pearl Expert.

I know quite a few Expert users who have moved up from a classic Pearl who hate carrying a monitor around with them. When I tell them about the new patch view or the DMX settings screen they look at me blankly.

If Avo could redesign the Pearl Expert to have a built in touch screen, now that would be a killer console.

Yes I agree

And while there at it write a clearer user manual that actually tells you how to do simple tasks like uploading !!!

Dave

P.S.....sorted the problem...so thanks for the help guys

Yes I agree

And while there at it write a clearer user manual that actually tells you how to do simple tasks like uploading !!!

Be careful what you say, I wrote the user manual!! I'm always open for feedback on it though - updating personalities is covered fairly thoroughly on p194 of the manual - which bit did you find to be lacking?

Haha!

And in the personalities section, next to 'download' there is 'more info' which says "To use the Pearl Expert Titan download, please copy the installer to your Pearl Expert Titan desk and double click on the installer icon in folder view". While this does not detail every step it is a fairly basic computing task. Certainly compared to operating a lighting console with all its complexities. I can suggest it is expanded slightly to say 'copy to stick, place stick in console, click on tools menu on external display or touch wing' etc.

As for a built-in screen surely that's what the Tiger Touch or Sapphire Touch are? In my opinion the strengths of the Expert are the number of physical faders and buttons. To include a screen in the same frame size would mean losing most of this and it would become the Tiger. Or you could add to it as a fold-down option which is no different to adding a separate display except it would undoubtedly make the console much more expensive. Or you can add it to the side, which is no different to just adding the touch wing.

Non-touch displays can be had for less than £100, will slot straight onto the back of the console with a VESA bracket and will fit in the flightcase, as will the touch wing. So you shouldn't need any extra storage space or have to worry about somewhere to put it. Yes it does mean you have to supply it separately but this keeps costs down.

Without an external display you will have no way to restart the software if the unthinkable happens and something goes wrong. Restarting software takes a few seconds. Power-cycling the console takes a couple of minutes without an SSD. There are many other things you cannot do but this is my main argument. A small price to pay.

Hi Guys

My big mistake was not having a monitor attached and all came clear when this was done.....I guess I was used to the old classic method

and didnt mean to offend the user manual author but somtimes things need simplyfing because whats obvious to some isnt to others

Dave

Hi Guys

My big mistake was not having a monitor attached and all came clear when this was done.....I guess I was used to the old classic method

and didnt mean to offend the user manual author but somtimes things need simplyfing because whats obvious to some isnt to others

Absolutely no offence taken, but I'm always interested to know how the manual can be improved. Finding the appropriate information seems to be the main problem for most people, there's a lot of information in there and what is logical to one person is hard to find for another.

Regarding the "Pearl Expert Touch", I really like having all the preset faders and buttons on the Pearl, which neither the Sapphire nor the Tiger has, but I find operating on the separate touch wing to be a bit "disconnected", it would work much better for my head if the screen was in the console. (I think this is an effect of using Classic Pearls for a long time).

Archived