X32 Subgroups

STCM_Tech

Hey Guys

Got our X32 and S16 yesterday. Had a decent play with it and am loving it but I have two questions!

I have set up my mix buses in the 6+6+4 configuration so I have 6 subgroups. I want to have [lets say] a drum kit going into a subgroup and then whack some compression on it. I sent it all to the subgroup no problem and did the compression but could only hear it by soloing the subgroup as it wasn't going out to the L+R. I took each channel out of the L+R send but then had nothing coming out. So my question is how do I get a subgroup to go out my L+R to feed my matrixes and main out.

Also I set up for the S16 all ok and set the sync setting fine. But what sync setting do I use if I want say 8 channels from the S16 and 8 local inputs.

I hope I am not being to stupid.

Thanks

Will

Also I set up for the S16 all ok and set the sync setting fine. But what sync setting do I use if I want say 8 channels from the S16 and 8 local inputs.

You shouldn't need to change anything - once they're in sync, everything works together.

One of your devices has to be master (for example the X32 itself) and the all others have to slave, so be set to whichever input the master is connected to (AES50A most likely).

I haven't used an S16 but once you have established master setting as above it should be the same as patching any other groups of inputs so I would think, as an example:

routing

home tab

inputs 1 to 8 set to AES50 A1-8

inputs 9 to 16 set to local 1-8

that will set the first 8 faders/channels to receive the S16 inputs 1 to 8 and the second 8 faders to receive the local connections 1-8

essentially it's a virtual patch bay and you are choosing which of the inputs (card in, local in, S16 in) to assign to which fader channels - in batches of 8 at a time.

the process is the same on the other tabs to route out from the desk (analogue out, aux out, p16, card, AES50)

Once you have the green light for the S16 on, then you can select the sources from local or the S16, in batches of 8 channels. The other source is your firewire/usb multichannel input. If the S16 and the x32 are set to different sample rates, it just refuses to go from red to green status.

You are not as daft as you think - I first started with using it with the VCAs as groups, and only scratched my head when I wanted to send some of a group to reverb - and had your problem. Almost certainly you have the channels routed to L/R and the groups too - so some dry signal is stopping you hear what the groups are doing - like on an old desk where you forgot to deselect the mix button on the channel strip!

Glad its not just me then :) took me ages to figure out what I was doing wrong trying to route a DCA to reverb.

I've currently got it set to one DCA is the mics, the one next to it the aux return for reverb, then I can control the amount of reverb easily, the halls I work in have enough reverb in the first place if its a slow night, so less is added.

essentially it's a virtual patch bay and you are choosing which of the inputs (card in, local in, S16 in) to assign to which fader channels - in batches of 8 at a time.

You don't have to patch things to channels in blocks of 8. Once a block of 8 physical inputs has been patched into the desk they can be assigned to any channels you like, in any order.

You don't have to patch things to channels in blocks of 8. Once a block of 8 physical inputs has been patched into the desk they can be assigned to any channels you like, in any order.

I must look into that at some point! I only taught myself how to copy and paste channels last week - time I had my own I think! ...now if only someone did the x32 on finance!

Hang on! You CANNOT send a DCA to reverb, because no audio passes through them, they simply control the gain of whichever channels you allocate them to - to add reverb to a cluster of individual channels you MUST use the groups, NOT the VCAa. An easy mistake to make, and you'll be scratching your head trying to find the sends on the VCA faders, because there aren't any!

Archived