MagicQ FX programming query

mark_s

Hi all,

Is there an easy way of 'freezing' an effect when intensity is above 0 on MagicQ? Specifically, I'm looking to run a P/T effect, and then layer a chase over the top so that the units appear to be in random - but changing - positions. Is there a way to have an effect temporarily stop/freeze per unit when the unit isn't dark? Alternatively, does anyone have any suggestions for other quick and easy methods to create such an effect? The only alternatives I can think of would be tedious to program at best.

Any thoughts, anyone?

If I was programming this - on my own desk - I'd program a chase with P&T FX speed at 0 with no other FX Parameters. Then run it at the same speed as the position FX, trigger both the P&T effect and the chase at the same time so they run in sync.

Thanks.

In the fader options menu set it so that Fader Releases Stack = NO then also set Fader to control Speed. `When you activate the cue the higher you push the fader the faster the effect will run but when you pull the fader down to 0 the effect will run at a 0 speed (effectively pausing the effect. In order to get rid of the effect you will need to release this fader.

Similar to Joe's suggestion but how about creating a couple of chase steps FX @ 0 (or Speed 0), then FX moving (P/T only), copy and paste these into a longer cue list (enough for your On/Off steps to look 'random') then whack in Intensity levels into the cues with the FX @ 0 steps, giving you the On/Off bit.

The difference with this approach is that you don't need to sync the speeds of each element as the single cue list chases in sync anyway. The limitation to this seems as if it would be the speed of the heads P/T, giving you a finite way that this could work and not look like random waggling while going on and off. Sounds like an effect that would have worked well on scans.

Was trying to also think of a tracking approach to this, but mind gone blank now.

Edit to add: A quick test with the MagicVis suggests that Speed 0 doesn't just stop the fixtures where they are but returns them to a different position, possibly the P/T that they were recorded in or their last position with before the FX.

Another feature related to Joe's suggestion is Fader Option of Sync Next Playback To This One in Advanced. Might be worth a look.

2nd Edit. OK, final thought. The best look I've got going in terms of what you describe is made up of 3 playbacks for ease of testing.

* A snap chase of positions. (snap, yeah right. This is where the visualiser and reality don't match up.)

* A shutter chase FX doing the Ints.

* A P/T circle with an even spread. Stopped. (WTF?)

Run all those together and I can get a decent 'random beams coming on at different angles and going off'. I'm not entirely clear why the stopped circle makes a difference but it mixes the angles up from the standard positions. Without it the effect is more 'chase of positions with shutter on/offs'. Wish I had a rig right now to mess about with this further.

Archived