Candles

tom.walford

If you're talking about the classic neon flicker flame lamps then they're very orange. (Because they're neon) It would be nice to see a mains version with warm white LEDs that flickered realistically.

In the bad old days they used to sell mains candles that had a flame shaped lamp that floated on two concentric springs and was pulsed by a small cap and magnet arrangement to give an incredibly realistic bobbing and wavering effect. Not seen them in a long time though. They were so convincing they looked like real candles.

Had a trip to Richmond (Yorkshire) Georgian Theatre Royal recently, they have neon candle lamps in their house fittings, I thought they looked rather silly! Way too orange, the flicker doesn't look like a wick and they give next to no light.

Or if you see battery ones that you like the effect of, buy those and convert them to run off a transformer or smps. Note: If you want to dim them, you'd be better off with a proper transformer but will probably need a resistive load as well. I ran a number of garden 'spike lights' in a show through a 12v garden/pond spec transformer off dimmers with a hidden 500W lamp on the same dimmer circuit.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Tom,

I recently had to produce a flicker effect unit for a visitor attraction. It runs from a 5v transformer and has three adjustment pots so you can control the flicker rate, the flicker variation and also the colour balance (it has amber and warm white leds so you can shift more towards one than the other). Its approx 50mm in diameter and 20mm high.

Also available in a DMX version so you can control the intensity via DMX.

Let me know if this is of any interest,

Regards,

Maria

An important point to getting the candles to look realistic is the candle stem.

In a real candle the top area of wax glows.To create this with an electronic candle you need to have a tube that is translucent and a small static light source, as well as the flickering sources.

Original "Phantom of the Opera" candle modules had this and they were then mounted inside lenghts of waste pipe which were cut on a slight angle and dressed with "drips" made with translucent hot glue.

Tip - Take a torch to the shop to check the waste pipe is translucent.

If the stem doesn't glow you end up with "light bulbs on sticks"

Archived