Patt 263 - upside down?

paulcobb

I have acquired some Patt 263 lanterns.

These have had a lamp conversion to what looks like a T11 holder (with spacers fitted underneath).

Am I right in thinking that the lantern has now to be used 'upside down' with the lamp base at the bottom

rather than with the lamp base at the top as was the original design.

Nope - it can be used as it always was.

We had a dozen or so with the conversion when I was Chief at The Albany and never noticed any problems - except a longer lamp life because envelope and lamp base didn't part company so readily.

So technically that is a no then to the proper orientaion?

All it means is that if your lamps don't last as long as they should then you have little room to complain.

If I remember correctly, the original T4 lamps for the 263/264 had a rather long envelope and a mica disc on the filament support tube to deflect heat away from the cap pinch point which is the most vulnerable part of the construction.I don't remember any lanterns taking cap up lamps at all after that until Selecon in the mid 90s. If I had a Pound for every 23 that I've seen upside down (or worse still, sideways) I'd have very full pockets!

Archived