Stage leg storage / shipping

Hi,

How do you store & transport quantities of scaffold tubes ranging from 1' to 4' in length?

I've just ordered another 80x 29" scaffold tube legs for our litestructures stage decks and looking down the staging aisle in the store I note the wooden crates on casters we made up a few years ago are already over full & there are piles of loose legs in plastic dust bins as over-flow storage.. goodness knows where the new batch will go..

So what do you guys use? stillages? homebrew crates? pallet cages?

Cheers

Gareth

big plastic tubs- the type you always see in supermarkets as storage solutions.

Works for 6", 1', 2'. I think you get about 32 2ft legs in each before it becomes too heavy to reasonably carry/the handels risk breaking- which is a good amount to send out on small fetes etc which are likely to be a bit of deck in the back of the clients transit and a flightcase of legs wouldnt fit. Bigger shows they obviously go into flightcases.

The plastic boxes stack a few high and are kept on a pallet, so when not in immediate use its forked up onto shelving units.

We have a relatively small number of legs (8 boxes I think, we stock about 20 decks + a few halves/triangles, enough legs to do this at maybe 4 heights) so I doubt this is the solution if youve got a proper staging company amount of staging. But for us atleast it works, I can get to any leg relatively easily and it has minimal impact on the rest of the warehouse as it lives above the decks.

Longer legs we have an incredibly deep metal workbench/cupboard type thing that fits up to 1250mm (to deck top) legs..which I think is 4ft 1 and a quarter in old money.

• 9 months later...

Stillages are really only any good if you have use of a forklift both at your end for loading and at the other end for unloading. You can't expect local crew to man handle a steel stillage full of legs out the back of a van.

Flight case is a perfectly good method, any good flight case company will do you a good 1220 x 600 x 300 shallow case which are great for packing legs into. Get a middle set of wheels put in if need be so it doesn't bottom out on your van ramp.

Otherwise, I did a job where I bolted half couplers into the undersides of Litedeck, so we could carry 4 legs on any length within the confines of the deck. Not the speediest way to work but means you should always end up with the right amount of legs and there's no need to take up precious van space with an extra box.

Otherwise, I did a job where I bolted half couplers into the undersides of Litedeck, so we could carry 4 legs on any length within the confines of the deck. Not the speediest way to work but means you should always end up with the right amount of legs and there's no need to take up precious van space with an extra box.

Bolted as in to the ply, or to the metal framing? I can't see how it would work bolted to the ply, though it is a good idea in theory

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Beer crates work well for short legs if you can get hold of some. We ended up building some wooden boxes out of ply offcuts which do the job too. I did build a larger one for 3ft legs, but it gets a bit unwieldy and hard to carry. Flightcases or longer boxes that hold the legs horizontally are probably the best option once you get that long.

In a similar vein, we're struggling to get a decent storage solution for scaffold jacks - the standard style like in the photo below. At the moment they sit in plastic crates in an ungainly heap. It's hard to see at a glance how many you have in the box, and they all fall around and tangle themselves so it's a pest to get them clear. We're typically only moving a dozen or so jacks, so stillages and larger cases aren't really an option. Has anyone come up with a better solution?

http://www.allinonerental.net/itemimages/1173.jpg

Archived