silhouette effect

Digger65

hi all Director has asked for a silhouette effect in 9 sections of a back wall scaffold set, to backlight people standing in these sections

however when I have tried this sort of thing in the past I have experienced limited success -with a bright blinder in the audiences eyes, even with sharktooth gauze in front of the light source

as this is backwall there will be limited space behind the set so any light will have to be essentially a flood to get the width to silhouette a person

I guess the way forward may be frosted plasic with fluro tubes but this is getting complex..

if anyone has any reasonable low tech no time solution?

thanks though

JJ

How much space behind the set do you have?

The less you have, the less the silhouette will work, but it might be worth trying the asymmetric floods that are normally used to light a cyc but turned to face the gauze instead, perhaps?

I have been given a clip of the desired effect now and tbh it looks like some LED batten bounced off of a gauze or cyc should do it, I have asked he allows for a little more depth at the back and we may be good

thanks for the swift reply

JJ

the asymmetric floods that are normally used to light a cyc but turned to face the gauze instead, perhaps?

I've successfully done this for a show a few months ago; a pair of asymmetric floods on a T-Bar (one mounted below the bar, and 1 above), with frost in, carefully focussed so as to avoid double-shadows, pointing at a gauze. It worked really nicely, and we got sharp crisp shadows through the gauze. You could see the flood through the gauze, however it wasn't at all distracting and in fact I doubt any of the audience would have noticed it http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

Here is an image I took of the effect - please excuse the projector (for another effect) and the ladder (for the projector)...the trees weren't flush against the gauze, hence they look a bit dodgy, but the 'ground' looks good.http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy114/Charlie18061/photo.jpg

Light the back wall rather than the performer. Once the thing the performer is standing in front of is brighter than they are they will be in silhouette. as soon as you start lighting them you'll lose the effect.

Effectively the set becomes the light source but because it is reflected light theres no source to blind the audience.

+1 for lighting just the back wall. If you use cyc lights you have colour and section options.

You always need to read the script to see the context of what the effect is meant to achieve.

This band silhouette by Brian Carlson also has a back light which shows you can add selective highlighting of individuals.

• 1 month later...

Archived