TOA radio mic spares

Simon Lewis

All,

Just trying to sort out various problems with a third party installation...

1) Client has some old(ish) TOA WM4300 UHF radios. The mics are cardioid and the connectors are TA4. The TOA spares sites show other connector types but not the TA4. Furthermore, the spares mics all appear to be cardioid.

I could do with a cost effective omni with a TA4 connection to overcome mic placement problems. Has TOA made such a unit (my search so far suggests not?). If so, does the pinout and polarising voltage of (say) a Shure WL93 fortuitiously match that of the TOA?

2) The installer remotely located a pair of small UHF aerials, A & B (only spaced a few cm apart) and cabled them back to a TOA aerial distribution box. However there were RF deadspots in the building, so a second pair of active aerials (C & D) were added, spaced about 2m apart in another section of the building. One each of the original aerial and new aerial (A&C and B&D) has been commoned to the aerial dist amp input. This does not appear to provide the best arrangement for diversity purposes, and pairs

up a passive and active aerial element?

There isn't a budget to replace radio mics, but they can purchase new mics. Any comments on the issues above would be welcome...

Simon Lewis

Is it Lavs your looking for or headsets??

this guy has lavs and headsets with the TA4, not sure if they are TOA compatible (AFAIK they are) drom him a message and hell be able to confirm if they are.

Been using his headsets for a while, and they are doing ok, very similar in performance to the CPC ones, moved to his because he does a wider range of connectors off the shelf, saves me messing about with 4 pin lemos.

or his website here

I've very happily replaced mics on earlier WM-370, and even earlier WM-320 than that models of TOA systems.

I used the CPC bargains, discarded their connectors, and reterminated to the originals from the old mics. Though the TA4 is just one of these, isn't it?

In both cases, the replacement of the old capsules with the CPC £5 units not only fixed cable problems, but gave a far better sound, as well as solving the issues of cardoid response not being ideal.

Tim,

Client is thinking about headsets, but it's a church with a number of retired clergy who officiate, and as the sound system is not "managed" I suspect they will not have the discipline to fit them correctly and dress the cable, or like the feel of headsets over their ears.

They have problems of incorrect placement with the present cardioid lapels. This is a combination of bad technique / lack of knowledge / can't teach an old dog new tricks / clerical vestments not offering somewhere to put the lapel mic. Oh, the existing lapel cables are shot too - hence the enquiry about some new omni lapels. Thanks for the link - I'll give them a call...

Alec - thanks for the CPC link.... ideally I'd want to let them compare the existing mics and any suggested replacement, but I could make a mic and connector up quite cheaply....

Simon

Archived