Gobos

Nick LX

Quick one on gobos.

1) What is the ridged/grooved section on the edge of the gobo for? I assumed for rotation?

2) When getting a logo cut out for a metal gobo, it doesn't need to be mirrored or anything does it?

Cheers

Quick one on gobos.

1) What is the ridged/grooved section on the edge of the gobo for? I assumed for rotation?

2) When getting a logo cut out for a metal gobo, it doesn't need to be mirrored or anything does it?

Cheers

1. In my experience it's for the end of a flat-bladed screwdriver to make those critical rotational adjustments with.

2. Nope.......although bear in mind that if it is metal the logo might distort in the heat; and there are those irritating bars. If your budget can stretch to it, I would recommend glass.

KC

1) Yes, it's for rotation as Ken describes.

2) Depending where in the light path the gobo fits, some profiles need the gobo pointing forwards and some need it pointint backwards (all need it upside down) but other than that, cutting the gobo is just a matter of it looking exactly as you want to see it.

some profiles need the gobo pointing forwards and some need it pointint backwards (all need it upside down)

Really? Surely if all lamps need the gobo upside down, then they must also need it to be back to front as well? You can't flip an image in one axis and not the other without some pretty fancy optics.

some profiles need the gobo pointing forwards and some need it pointint backwards (all need it upside down)

Really? Surely if all lamps need the gobo upside down, then they must also need it to be back to front as well? You can't flip an image in one axis and not the other without some pretty fancy optics.

Yes, I see how that reads now! What I meant to say is that some lanterns have the gobo holder facing forwards and others have it facing backwards and that affects how the gobo is placed in the holder. The gobo itself, of course, always faces the same way! Sorry for the confusion.

1) What is the ridged/grooved section on the edge of the gobo for?

And here's me thinking its just to make the gobo appear more like a serrated knife when you're dealing with them so it makes a deeper cut in your finger :P

1) What is the ridged/grooved section on the edge of the gobo for?

And here's me thinking its just to make the gobo appear more like a serrated knife when you're dealing with them so it makes a deeper cut in your finger :P

And a hot cut at that! :)

Archived