Audience Response keypads

As the title suggests, we've got an event coming up where the organisers want to do a "live vote" with an audience of approx 500 young people. They have what seems to be a realistic budget for the kit, and it's just being used for a single feedback/response session at the end of a weekend.

It'd be great if we could integrate the results into a live Powerpoint, but I'd be content enough to have a display we can see and bash the results in ourselves.

I'd be happy enough dry-hiring the keypads, assuming we can get enough time to suss them out beforehand.

Anyone got suppliers they can recommend? And anyone who has them in stock themselves is welcome to fire me a quote via PM.

Turning point keypads are easy to use and work with PowerPoint, I've used them a number of times, most being 1200 keypads

One good feature is the ability to ask some demographic questions first that can be compaired to the results later. Eg m/f age ect

What I often do when we are using them on a job is to offer each presenter 5 questions at the end of their session so the keypads are utilised threwout the day and not just for one session.

IML are also good. They do a similar system to Turning Point (but IMHO) more stable. If you require a quote I can PM you the details of a company local to me (Suffolk/ Cambs) who have the system and usually can do a good price.

Both Turning Point and IML systems look good, either would comfortably fulfil our requirements.

Maximising the use of the system seems like a sensible idea. It's being brought in for a fairly dry feedback session with assorted politicians, but having adding feedback to other sessions or even something like a pub quiz would "add value" for the end client.

Depends on the audience and infrastructure, of course, but an alternative may be to use a smartphone-based solution. There are several - I quite like Socrative - http://www.socrative.com - which is free, but limited to 50 users. App available for iPhone, android, windows phone etc, or a web based client.

IIRC you are Glasgow based? I know Glasgow Uni have a set of (at least) 350 handsets which they use for medical school elctures amongst others. being August time they may be willing to hire them for the extra income outside of term time.

Depends on the audience and infrastructure, of course, but an alternative may be to use a smartphone-based solution.

Phone reception on site is patchy at best, which rules out that option unfortunately.

Socrative looks like it could have its uses elsewhere though.

Dont forget to factor in the costs for 2 big door men, strong enough to pick people up, turn them upsidedown and shake them, you'll always get a couple of muppets try to go home with the remotes in their pocket which IIRC are expensive to replace.

Dont forget to factor in the costs for 2 big door men, strong enough to pick people up, turn them upsidedown and shake them, you'll always get a couple of muppets try to go home with the remotes in their pocket which IIRC are expensive to replace.

Good point.

To be honest, at this event the punters are great - they managed to do a silent disco last year without a single receiver lost. (We had more of a problem with the adult organisers wandering off with walkie talkies still attached to their belts)

But the stakes will be far higher with the remote keypads, so some sort of system to manage them would be good. I'll suggest that to them.

Archived