Hanging a banner

Nick LX

In a few months we're looking at hanging a 12ft x 3ft banner outside. Even though it'll be positioned at the entrance to a big top tent I understand that we still need to make sure it can handle the elements (i.e. ballast). I have plenty of Litec Truss (QX30) available to me so was going to make a goal post structure (about 3mtrs high). My question is: what are the laws on ballast (& safety generally)? Obviously if this can't be undertaken in-house then we'll organise for someone else to do it, but I just wanted to investigate all possibilities beforehand.

Cheers

If possible hang it ON the tent.

Going for goalposts raises extra problems as This topic showed. There are no specific "laws" in the UK and if you can't work out the forces involved it is probably best to get someone in who can. There are calculators like This one all over the interweb if you can then work out the moments and appropriate kentledge loads.

Dependent on location marquee type ground anchors and similar fixings could be considered though you then need to have some understanding of how soil constitution affects anchorage.

if you have to ask the question then you're not the right person to do the job, there's some hefty forces and significant injury risks here. If you're getting your bigtop from one of the brand-name companies, speak to them about either attaching it to the bigtop or them installing a support system for you. Whilst driving in 100+ stakes and messing around with guy ropes it's really no big job to drop a few more in to properly anchor an archway.

if you are going to use a truss goalpost then either hire a rigging company that will take all the liability away from you or pay a structural engineering firm to produce wind calculations for you. Wind calcs are an absolute must if you are working with outdoor structures.

Archived