Pearl Expert, Artnet and Colorweb

Thomas1987

Hi folks,

Looking to use our Expert running Titan 6 to drive some basic pixel mapping on Colorweb 125.

Checking the manual for Expert, it says "The console has 64 DMX output lines (up to 12 on the console itself,

with further lines available using networked DMX processing nodes)."

Now if I'm taking Artnet straight out of the desk and into the Colorweb PSUs (which accept Artnet input), can I use all 64 output lines, or do I need a "networked DMX processing node"... Isn't that the Colorweb PSU? Or do I need something to process it before going into the Colorweb PSU?

Confused as I can't drive anything direct from the desk without an artnet node anyway, so why does it say 12 on the console itself?

It'll be driving a 13m x 13m "roof", and 13m x 4m backdrop effectively, so its a lot of universes!

Any advice? (And yes, I'll be talking to the hire company about it but its Sunday and I'm trying to catch up on the last weeks planning!)

Dave

Firstly, despite what the manual says, the maximum number of lines currently available is 24 (latest version 6.1 at time of writing). It will not let you patch anything beyond line 24.

TitanNet distributed processing is about balancing the demand placed on the processors.

You can assign all 24 lines to your Expert but it might cause performance issues, particularly on a standard Expert or Tiger Touch which is why it is recommended you don't run more than 12. A warning will appear in the processing load section of the local Expert node in the TitanNet overview tab if you assign more than 12.

TitanNet Processing Node's provide a way to distribute the load across additional processors and maintain performance.

Personally I would look at using a dedicated media server for this application.

Even with an upgrade it will be pushing it if the limit is still only 64 universes straight out of the console.

I patched a 13x13m grid of the colorweb 125s in MagicQ on my PC here and it *just* fits on 64 artnet universes (the 10MBit test network I have here definitely didn't appreciate it!). So if you then have a 2nd chunk of 13x4 as a side wall, you'd be looking at 2 separate systems or something that can push 100+ universes, which as niclights suggested, looking at using a full media server.

Late reply, but + 1 to the idea of using a media server. You'll find it a lot more flexible and robust, and moving the DMX processing away to something dedicated will greatly improve your reliability. Look at a hippo, with the CITP integration on the pearl and the hippo they play quite nicely together ....

Archived