Adding IEM's into comms

brownie

Hi All,

My brains throwing a bit of a blank, what's the best way of connecting an IEM transmitter into a comms circuit?

Can I just plug the comms XOR into the transmitter or is that being stupid?!

Comms are tec pro/ Altair and IEM is a sennheiser G2

Many thanks!

Don't plug the comms XLR (not XOR!) into the Tx, there is between 24 and 48 odd volts on the comms line (depending on model) and this will surely damage your Tx.

Techpro do a box to get audio in and out of a comms circuit. http://www.canford.co.uk/TECPRO-COMMUNICATION-SYSTEM-2-to-4-Wire-Adapter

Much better way to do it.

David

Don't connect your Sennheiser IEM directly to a Tecpro circuit. There is power across the pins, it probably will not do your transmitter any good.

Tecpro do a 2 wire to 4 wire box. This will put you in the right direction.

Cheers,

Peter

If you are only going to just use IEM's then using a normal beltpack with a cable made up will be fine, as your IEM will always be transmitting, infact you could make up a lead with 4pin F-XLR to 3pin M-XLR and 3pin F-XLR and you can use this to then send a mic back into the coms system. I have done this with a presenter where the production manager needed constant communication with the presenter, fed his tiepin mic via the desk and used an aux to feed it permanently to the coms system, then fed the coms to the IEM for him.

On the AD903 unit the input and output are balanced so could dive long lines, where as using a normal beltpack would be unbalanced so could cause problems.

Tecpro packs can be quite fussy about the impedance of the load on the headphone and mic lines, and can end up on a horrendous squeal if they're not within spec.

The AD903 is built for the job and has the right isolation built in.

Edit to add that I've just realised who I'm replying to... Feel free to call if you want any more info.

Hi All,

My brains throwing a bit of a blank, what's the best way of connecting an IEM transmitter into a comms circuit?

Can I just plug the comms XOR into the transmitter or is that being stupid?!

Comms are tec pro/ Altair and IEM is a sennheiser G2

Many thanks!

If you want an off the shelf product the Audioman Iso does just what you want. If you want to build your own check out the Pete Erskine's downloads page for the audio only box. There are many other useful audio and comm adapters and hints there.

Mac

Archived