Sennheiser Radio Mic accessories

STCM_Tech

We have five Sennheiser Evolution G3 Lapel sets. I was looking for something like SKP 300's that Sennheisers do. But then I saw the price. Would the Sennheiser CL2 let me connect a standard hand held mic to one of the Sennheiser body packs we already have?

Yes,

but if you use a +48v mic battery life is sometimes hard to predict.

It would presumably also be quite hard to hear as you can't get 48v out of those beltpacks...

There's only a bias voltage of ~5v for powering electret capsules.

100% yes

I have just tried a SM58 and it worked a treat. Had to set the sensitivity to -3 or -6 to get anything real out. @ -0 the belt pack was just running on full peak constantly.

Phantom power wise, I have also tested it on a shotgun mic which stipulates 48v phantom and it worked.

Are you sure that shotgun didn't have a battery in it? Whilst some mics that can be powered by P48 will work on as low as 12v, true condensors that need the full 48 have no chance with such a low voltage.

I've just measured the bias voltage from a senny beltpack - 8.8v.

The SKP mentioned earlier can of course provide the full 48v as that's what it's designed to be able to do (with the resultant battery hit of course).

Are you sure that shotgun didn't have a battery in it? Whilst some mics that can be powered by P48 will work on as low as 12v, true condensors that need the full 48 have no chance with such a low voltage.

I've just measured the bias voltage from a senny beltpack - 8.8v.

The SKP mentioned earlier can of course provide the full 48v as that's what it's designed to be able to do (with the resultant battery hit of course).

The unit is AT875R

No place for batteries however the online spec states 11-52v despite the mic having 48V printed on it.

and the phantom power is carried on the two conductors, and the Sennheisers are unbalanced - so there is only 1. The only way it can be working is that the 5V superimposed on the audio line is sufficient, via the internal resistors in the mic designed to recover the phantom, to power the preamp. Before you use it in ernest, check the performance with loud sounds. I have a AT 815 that works on lower phantom power at about 12V - BUT overloud sounds distort quite unpleasantly. It's luck it's working, NOT design.

Interesting. There's a review on AT's site for that mic that suggests it'll even work on the 2.4v plug-in power that some camcorders and DSLRs provide. I believe headroom and sensitivity are what can suffer with lower voltages though.

A useful one to keep in the toolbox then!

Archived