Similar unit to replace a Masterpiece Replay Unit?

Jamtastic3

Hi BR.

Got a client who's Replay Unit has just packed in. Although these are flogged on EBay now and again, I'm needing something fairly easy to get hold of, can do the same job and isn't a faff to programme with old technology.

The unit was in a club environment, controlled with an outstation controller (12 buttons). The new unit needs to have a set up of buttons to make a bunch of heads do various colours and chases but also control colours of some accent LED effects.

Is there anything out there that can do this and be stuck away in a cupboard with just a button control out on the DJ booth?

Any help would be brilliant!

Cheers!

Is there anything out there that can do this and be stuck away in a cupboard with just a button control out on the DJ booth?

Yes a Masterpiece Replay Unit. Pulsar will still sell you one new and you can keep your existing outstation. For some reason there's still a market for the Disasterpiece and its associated accessories. I've no idea why.

For some reason there's still a market for the Disasterpiece and its associated accessories. I've no idea why.

Could be it's for exactly the reason the O/P uses his - simple push-button control of a complex lighting rig via Outstation and Replay unit; usually bulletproof reliability; easy programming (once you know how!); no computer to get in the way/crash - and great service back-up.

I suggest the O/P sends his Replay unit back to Pulsar - their service dept will fix it at a reasonable cost.

Chelgrian, if you can tell me of a system that does the same tricks as a Replay Unit then I'd be interested!

The great thing about the software is the fact that chases can chase chases and these parameters can be manipulated further (circle room for 10 seconds, then ballyhoo for 17, then up and down for 6 etc) from the programming of the main desk. Once it's done, it's just a few taps from the Outstation and then the overall layering and effects can be endless. Gobos, colours, shutter effects and movements can run accross one another at different speeds and rates.

No fixture files needed, just a knowledge of DMX channels of fixtures.

Some controllers you have to programme steps with all information (gobo/pan and tilt/shutter etc) and then just chase the steps and it isn't very flexible.

I am a fan of Martin 2510 units you can get them on ebay for a very low cost. there also this JB DJ Light RF-DMX Converter maybe worth googleing it to see if you get a better price also.

http://www.esldj.co.uk/jb-light-rf-DMX-converter-set-wireless-multipurpose-controller-16762-p.asp

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JB-DJ-Light-RF-DMX-Converter-Set-Wireless-multipurpose-controller-/230955974187?pt=UK_ConElec_LightingLEDsStrobes_RL&hash=item35c60c7e2b

Yes, Id like to add that indeed the Masterpiece isn't exactly a GrandMA, but if you know how to program them properly - then they are great little desks for the price. Bullet proof, easy for a non-skilled operator to control and the outboard kit is just perfect for the 'dj op' situation.

No disrespect, but Ive always found the people who hate them are usually the ones who dont really know how to program them properly. Im currently using one for a tribute band I work with and in the past was using them (all 4) at the Hippodrome back in the day controlling the monster rig that was in there at the time.

Cracking desks.

A Masterpiece was a great desk due to you could lock it off. but now there more easy systems out there. When you can now give a venue a Showcad system that anyone can use and can also be locked off and you can see whats going on unlike a Masterpiece as every person you talk to about them would set them up there own way.

Archived